Posted on 2010-11-19, updated at 2012-10-16. By anonymous.
W--y | 1988 | ISBN: 0471608424 | 616 pages | PDF | 21 MB
This two-volume text, originally written in German while Courant was still at Gottingen, is very much better for a serious student than most introductory texts on analysis. Most introductory texts have a flavor of having been written by geniuses for idiots; in this book, Courant treats the student as being his peer in intellect and interest, lacking only knowledge. This makes it an excellent book even for somebody reasonably familiar with the calculus. Although it covers the material from a strictly classical viewpoint, the text and the examples provide enough thinking material to help the student understand the motivation that led to measure theory, Lebesgue-Stieltjes integration, and algebraic topology; the wellsprings of these in classical analysis are seldom explained in modern math courses. So I can recommend it to any senior planning to do graduate work in math, or to any first-year graduate student in math. And of course, it can be well used as a first calculus text for students who are prepared to think and put in effort on the subject.
Courant himself, of course, was a great mathematician, although I don't personally consider him one of the greatest mathematicians of the 20th century; he was a better leader and inspirer of others than a creator of new mathematics. But among other things, he served as David Hilbert's personal assistant for two years, and this gave him superb judgment about what's important and what isn't. This shows throughout the book.
It also helps that the translator into English was E. J. McShane. McShane is less well-known than he perhaps deserves to be, because he was a truly first-rate mathematical researcher (in analysis) himself. This, together with the fact that McShane spent a year or two at Gottingen while Courant was still leading the Mathematics Institute at Gottingen, and came to know Courant well, allowed McShane to translate Courant's text with great understanding of
Courant's way of thinking.
Contents of this information are indexed from the Internet and not censored. All actions are under your responsibility. Send email to email@example.com to report links to illegal contents, we'll remove them immediately.
Search More...Differential and Integral Calculus, Vol. 1
Try RAR Password Recovery.
Please search mirrors if you can't find download links for "Differential and Integral Calculus, Vol. 1" in "Description" and someone else may update the links. Check the comments when back to find any updates.
Maybe some mirror pages will be helpful, search this book at top of this page or click here to find more info.
- Ebooks list page : 8419
- 2010-11-19Differential and Integral Calculus, Vol. 2
- 2013-12-24Elements of the Differential and Integral Calculus (repost)
- 2013-11-07Single Variable Differential and Integral Calculus: Mathematical Analysis [Repost]
- 2013-10-08Single Variable Differential and Integral Calculus: Mathematical Analysis
- 2013-05-19Differential and Integral Calculus, With Examples and Applications (Repost)
- 2012-11-03Theory and Problems of Differential and Integral Calculus, 3 Edition (Repost)
- 2012-09-27Differential and Integral Calculus
- 2012-09-02Differential and Integral Calculus
- 2012-08-31Analysis II: Differential and Integral Calculus, Fourier Series, Holomorphic Functions [Repost]
- 2012-03-17Schaum's Outline of Differential and Integral Calculus 3rd Edition - Removed
- 2012-02-23[share_ebook] Theory and Problems of Differential and Integral Calculus
- 2012-02-04[share_ebook] Differential and Integral Calculus, With Examples and Applications - George A. 1839-1927 Osborne
- 2012-01-13Elements of the Differential and Integral Calculus
- 2012-01-12[share_ebook] Differential and Integral Calculus, With Examples and Applications
- 2012-01-11[share_ebook] Differential and Integral Calculus, With Examples and Applications - George A. 1839-1927 Osborne
- 2012-01-09Differential and Integral Calculus, With Examples and Applications
- 2011-12-02[share_ebook] Schaum's Outline of Theory and Problems of Differential and Integral Calculus (repost) - Removed
- 2011-11-27[share_ebook] Schaum's Outline oTheory and Problems of Differential and Integral Calculus (Schaums Outline Series)
- 2011-10-02[share_ebook] Differential and Integral Calculus
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.