Posted on 2009-03-17, updated at 2014-04-21. By anonymous.
New Age International | 2007 | ISBN: 8122418597, 812242323X | 312 pages | PDF | 3,7 MB
“High Voltage Engineering” has been written for the undergraduate students in Electrical
Engineering of Indian and foreign Universities as well as the practising electrical
The author developed interest in the field of High Voltage Engineering when he was a
student at the Govt. Engineering College, Jabalpur. It used to be thrilling to observe large
metal spheres flashing over, corona phenomenon on a wire placed along the axis of a
cylinder and then recording the corona loss, controlling the wave shapes of impulse voltages
The author has taught the subject at the Delhi College of Engineering for quite a number
of years and while preparing lecture notes he referred to some of the books and journals
and some literature from the internationally famed manufacturers of High Voltage
equipments e.g. Haefely, Tettex etc. The lecture notes so prepared, thus, have a touch of
both the class room requirements and a practising engineer’s requirements.
In this edition, zeroth chapter on Electric Stress estimation and c ontrol has been added
where in different methods viz. finite difference, finite element, charge simmulation method
and surface charge simulation methods have been discussed per estimation of metric
stresses in complex dielectric media and electrode configuration. a brief view of optimisation
of electrode configuration is also given in this chapter.
Chapter 1 deals with the breakdown of gases, liquids, and solid materials. Even though it
has not been possible to explain the physical phenomenon associated with breakdown of
the materials, with accuracy and precisiveness, an attempt has been made to bring out
some of the theories advocated by researchers in this field in a simple lucid and organised
Chapters 2 and 3 discuss the generation of high d.c. and a.c. voltages and high impulse
voltages and currents. Some of the latest circuits have been discussed and rigorous mathematical
treatment of the circuit has been given to make the subject more interesting and
to make the student understand the subject better.
Measurement of transient voltage and currents and high voltage and current require different
skills and equipment as compared with common a.c. or d.c. voltages we normally
come across. Chapter 4 discusses various techniques and circuits for measurement of such
Chapter 5 deals into high voltage testing of electrical equipments like insulators, cables,
transformers, circuit breakers etc.
The measurements using high voltage Schering bridge, transformer ratio arm bridge and
partial discharges yield information regarding the life expectancy and the long term stability
or otherwise of the insulating materials. These techniques have been discussed elaborately
in Chapter 6. These tests are very important both during design and operation of
Electrical transients last for a very short duration but these play a very important role in
the insulation design of power system. Chapter 7 takes a view of various types of transients
in power system and suggests classical and more modern statistical methods of
coordinating the insulation requirements of various equipments of the system and the
devices required for protection of these equipments.
In this edition of the book following articles have been added in chapter 1 of the book :
(i) Breakdown in SF6 gas and Vacuum.
(ii) Insulating materials used in power apparatus.
(iii) Application of gases, liquid and solid insulating materials in different power apparatus.
A suitable number of problems have been solved to help understand the relevant theory.
At the end, a large number of multiple choice questions have been added to help the
reader to test himself. An extensive bibliography will help the reader to locate detailed
information on various topics of his interest.
There are very few High Voltage Laboratories all over the world and the reader may not
have an opportunity to visit such a laboratory. Therefore, a few photoplates have been
added at suitable locations in the book to give a physical feel of various equipments in a
well equipped high voltage laboratory. The author feels that with the inclusion of
photoplates of high voltage equipments the student as well the practising engineers would
be greatly benefited.
I wish to express my sincere thanks to M/s Emile Haefely & Co. Ltd., Switzerland for
permitting inclusion of photoplates in the book which has enhanced the utility of the book.
I also wish my express my gratitude to my wife Usha, daughter Meenu and son Sandeep
for their patience and encouragement during the preparation of the book.
Any constructive suggestion for the improvement of the book will be gratefully acknowledged.
Thank you for sharing.
- Ebooks list page : 2508
- 2008-05-28[request]High Voltage Engineering and Testing - Removed
- 2014-11-15Advances in High Voltage Engineering
- 2014-10-18High Voltage Engineering by M. S. Naidu
- 2014-08-20High Voltage Engineering and Testing, 3rd edition (Repost)
- 2014-05-25High Voltage Engineering and Testing, 3rd edition (Repost)
- 2014-04-21High Voltage Engineering
- 2014-04-21High Voltage Engineering
- 2014-04-15Advances in High Voltage Engineering (repost) - Removed
- 2013-11-28High Voltage Engineering and Testing, 3rd edition - Removed
- 2013-06-18High Voltage Engineering (repost) - Removed
- 2013-04-25High Voltage Engineering Fundamentals - John Kuffel (2nd ed )
- 2012-09-27High Voltage Engineering - Removed
- 2012-01-21High Voltage Engineering Fundamentals, Second Edition
- 2012-01-21High Voltage Engineering Fundamentals, Second Edition (Repost)
- 2011-09-14High Voltage Engineering
- 2011-07-08High Voltage Engineering
- 2011-05-30High Voltage Engineering by M.S.Naidu - Removed
- 2010-12-21«High Voltage Engineering» (Repost) - Removed
- 2010-10-25High Voltage Engineering Fundamentals, Second Edition (repost)
- 2010-09-14High Voltage Engineering Fundamentals, 2 Edition (repost)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.