Posted on 2007-12-21. By anonymous.
Heart-Shaped Box is a 2007 debut horror novel by author Joe Hill.
The set-up for Joe Hill's novel, Heart-Shaped Box is appealingly simple. Jude Coyne, an aging rock star, buys himself a dead man's suit. He acquires it online, lured by the promise that the dead man's ghost will be included in his purchase. Jude thinks this is a joke, of course. He also assumes the seller is a stranger. We soon discover that he's wrong on both counts, however, and from this point on the story moves with an exhilarating urgency. Jude wants the ghost gone; the ghost wants Jude dead. We watch, chapter-by-chapter, as they battle for survival. "Watch" is the appropriate word, too, because this is an extremely visual book. Hill's prose is lean and precise, and he renders Jude's world with impressive confidence. It feels solid, every detail both correct and fresh. And this physicality provides a firm platform for the book's otherworldly happenings, which seem all the more frightening for being so securely grounded.
Hill has a flawless sense of pacing. His narrative never flags, nor does it ever move so quickly as to outrun itself. And one can sense his literary ambition pushing at the margins of the genre. There are times when his writing, for all its spare efficiency, seems to jump away from him, stopping one small step short of poetry. An e-mail to Jude from the ghost (trust me, it's not as absurd as it sounds) could even pass for something ee cummings might've written, in an especially morbid mood. And toward the end of the book, when Hill describes a trip down death's "night road" in a '65 Mustang, the passage has a startlingly lyrical beauty.
The story's horror ultimately has as much to do with Jude Coyne's past--his mistakes, abandonments and betrayals--as with anything supernatural. Jude has caused a lot of pain over the years, moving through life with a carelessness that verges on the callous. His battle with the ghost brings this behavior into sharp relief, forcing him to reflect upon his own capacity for cruelty. This dawning self-awareness leavens the book's bleakness and gore (and it is delightfully gory in places) with an unexpected sweetness. Despite our initial impression, Jude is gradually revealed--both to himself and the reader--as an essentially decent, even kind man. It's this kindness, this fledgling ability to love and be loved, that will ultimately be of crucial consequence in his death struggle with the ghost. And it's what makes Hill's debut not only well-written and terrifying, but also--as it draws to its close--surprisingly moving. So go ahead, take a chance, and open his Heart-Shaped Box. I think you'll be happy you did. --Scott Smith
- Ebooks list page : 1501
- 2013-05-17Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box
- 2013-05-07Joe Hill - Heart Shaped Box
- 2011-08-31Heart-Shaped Box
- 2011-11-29Heart-Shaped Box - Joe Hill (epub mobi pdf)
- 2013-07-07Heart-Shaped Box (Audiobook)
- 2014-07-12Deb Brisson & The Hay Burners - Heart Shaped Stone (2014)
- 2013-08-29Joe Hill’s Thumbprint 003 (2013) (Digital) (JK-Empire)
- 2013-05-23Download NOS4A2 by Joe Hill - Removed
- 2013-05-05Joe Hill - 20th Century Ghosts
- 2013-04-30FREE Download NOS4A2 by Joe Hill - Removed
- 2012-11-09GraphicRiver - Packaging Template - Heart Gift Box II
- 2012-10-23Joe Hill's The Cape - 1969 04 (of 04) (2012)
- 2012-09-06Joe Hill's The Cape - 1969 03 (of 04) (2012)
- 2012-02-06The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon - William M. Adler
- 2012-01-19The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon - William M. Adler
- 2012-01-05The Man Who Never Died: The Life, Times, and Legacy of Joe Hill, American Labor Icon - William M. Adler
- 2011-12-28Joe Hill’s Cape 03 - Removed
- 2011-12-1620th Century Ghosts free ebook download
- 2011-11-29[WP] Joe Hill - Horns
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.