Posted on 2011-01-15. By anonymous.
Recorded Books | 2004 | ISBN: 1419305077 | MP3@48 kbps | 8 hrs 15 mins | 170.22 Mb
Essayist and cultural critic Barbara Ehrenreich has always specialized in turning received wisdom on its head with intelligence, clarity, and verve. With some 12 million women being pushed into the labor market by welfare reform, she decided to do some good old-fashioned journalism and find out just how they were going to survive on the wages of the unskilled--at $6 to $7 an hour, only half of what is considered a living wage. So she did what millions of Americans do, she looked for a job and a place to live, worked that job, and tried to make ends meet.
As a waitress in Florida, where her name is suddenly transposed to "girl," trailer trash becomes a demographic category to aspire to with rent at $675 per month. In Maine, where she ends up working as both a cleaning woman and a nursing home assistant, she must first fill out endless pre-employment tests with trick questions such as "Some people work better when they're a little bit high." In Minnesota, she works at Wal-Mart under the repressive surveillance of men and women whose job it is to monitor her behavior for signs of sloth, theft, drug abuse, or worse. She even gets to experience the humiliation of the urine test.
So, do the poor have survival strategies unknown to the middle class? And did Ehrenreich feel the "bracing psychological effects of getting out of the house, as promised by the wonks who brought us welfare reform?" Nah. Even in her best-case scenario, with all the advantages of education, health, a car, and money for first month's rent, she has to work two jobs, seven days a week, and still almost winds up in a shelter. As Ehrenreich points out with her potent combination of humor and outrage, the laws of supply and demand have been reversed. Rental prices skyrocket, but wages never rise. Rather, jobs are so cheap as measured by the pay that workers are encouraged to take as many as they can. Behind those trademark Wal-Mart vests, it turns out, are the borderline homeless. With her characteristic wry wit and her unabashedly liberal bent, Ehrenreich brings the invisible poor out of hiding and, in the process, the world they inhabit--where civil liberties are often ignored and hard work fails to live up to its reputation as the ticket out of poverty.
Contents of this information are indexed from the Internet and not censored. All actions are under your responsibility. Send email to firstname.lastname@example.org to report links to illegal contents, we'll remove them immediately.
Search More...Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America [Unabridged Audiobook]
Download Link 2
Try RAR Password Recovery.
Please search mirrors if you can't find download links for "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America [Unabridged Audiobook]" in "Description" and someone else may update the links. Check the comments when back to find any updates.
Maybe some mirror pages will be helpful, search this book at top of this page or click here to find more info.
- Ebooks list page : 9731
- 2012-03-31Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America (Audiobook) (Repost)
- 2011-08-29[share_ebook] Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, 2002
- 2011-06-23Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America [Repost]
- 2011-01-18Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America
- 2008-12-05Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
- 2014-01-03Barbara Ehrenreich, "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America" (repost)
- 2012-10-21download On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich - Removed
- 2013-10-01[VNDS-7045] Rinka Kiriyama, Ai Oritsuki, Erika Kitagawa and Ria Fujita – My Husband’s Not Getting It Done – Mama Bitch! 2 - Removed
- 2012-10-17He's Just Not in the Stars: Wicked Astrology and Uncensored Advice for Getting the (Almost) Perfect Guy
- 2011-09-24[share_ebook] He's Just Not in the Stars: Wicked Astrology and Uncensored Advice for Getting the (Almost) Perfect Guy - Removed
- 2011-03-04He's Just Not in the Stars: Wicked Astrology and Uncensored Advice for Getting the (Almost) Perfect Guy - Removed
- 2013-12-21Due Diligence and the Business Transaction: Getting a Deal Done
- 2013-11-10How Come That Idiot's Rich And I'm Not? (Audiobook)
- 2013-09-14Into the Networked Age: How IBM and Other Firms are Getting There Now (Repost)
- 2013-06-06Arbinger Institute - Leadership And Self-Deception: Getting Out Of The Box [Audiobook Unabridged 67 MP3]
- 2013-06-03Arbinger Institute - Leadership And Self-Deception: Getting Out Of The Box [Audiobook Unabridged 67 MP3]
- 2013-03-12Why Religion is Natural and Science is Not (repost)
- 2013-02-27Fat, Fate, and Disease: Why exercise and diet are not enough
- 2012-12-23Why Europe Grew Rich and Asia Did Not: Global Economic Divergence, 1600-1850
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.