Posted on 2011-01-15. By anonymous.
Recorded Books | 2004 | ISBN: 1419305077 | MP3@48 kbps | 8 hrs 15 mins | 170.22 Mb
Essayist and cultural critic Barbara Ehrenreich has always specialized in turning received wisdom on its head with intelligence, clarity, and verve. With some 12 million women being pushed into the labor market by welfare reform, she decided to do some good old-fashioned journalism and find out just how they were going to survive on the wages of the unskilled--at $6 to $7 an hour, only half of what is considered a living wage. So she did what millions of Americans do, she looked for a job and a place to live, worked that job, and tried to make ends meet.
As a waitress in Florida, where her name is suddenly transposed to "girl," trailer trash becomes a demographic category to aspire to with rent at $675 per month. In Maine, where she ends up working as both a cleaning woman and a nursing home assistant, she must first fill out endless pre-employment tests with trick questions such as "Some people work better when they're a little bit high." In Minnesota, she works at Wal-Mart under the repressive surveillance of men and women whose job it is to monitor her behavior for signs of sloth, theft, drug abuse, or worse. She even gets to experience the humiliation of the urine test.
So, do the poor have survival strategies unknown to the middle class? And did Ehrenreich feel the "bracing psychological effects of getting out of the house, as promised by the wonks who brought us welfare reform?" Nah. Even in her best-case scenario, with all the advantages of education, health, a car, and money for first month's rent, she has to work two jobs, seven days a week, and still almost winds up in a shelter. As Ehrenreich points out with her potent combination of humor and outrage, the laws of supply and demand have been reversed. Rental prices skyrocket, but wages never rise. Rather, jobs are so cheap as measured by the pay that workers are encouraged to take as many as they can. Behind those trademark Wal-Mart vests, it turns out, are the borderline homeless. With her characteristic wry wit and her unabashedly liberal bent, Ehrenreich brings the invisible poor out of hiding and, in the process, the world they inhabit--where civil liberties are often ignored and hard work fails to live up to its reputation as the ticket out of poverty.
Download Link 2
- Ebooks list page : 9731
- 2014-01-03Barbara Ehrenreich, "Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America" (repost)
- 2012-03-31Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America (Audiobook) (Repost)
- 2011-08-29Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America, 2002
- 2011-06-23Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America [Repost]
- 2011-01-18Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting by in America
- 2008-12-05Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America
- 2012-10-21download On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich - Removed
- 2013-10-01[VNDS-7045] Rinka Kiriyama, Ai Oritsuki, Erika Kitagawa and Ria Fujita – My Husband’s Not Getting It Done – Mama Bitch! 2 - Removed
- 2012-10-17He's Just Not in the Stars: Wicked Astrology and Uncensored Advice for Getting the (Almost) Perfect Guy
- 2011-09-24He's Just Not in the Stars: Wicked Astrology and Uncensored Advice for Getting the (Almost) Perfect Guy - Removed
- 2011-03-04He's Just Not in the Stars: Wicked Astrology and Uncensored Advice for Getting the (Almost) Perfect Guy - Removed
- 2016-07-02Get It! A Beauty, Style, and Wellness Guide to Getting Your It Together
- 2014-06-07Why Europe Grew Rich and Asia Did Not: Global Economic Divergence, 1600-1850 (repost)
- 2014-06-03Everyone's Crazy Except You and Me...And I'm Not So Sure About You: America's Favorite Contrarian Cuts Loose (repost)
- 2014-04-08The Education of Millionaires: It's Not What You Think and It's Not Too Late (repost)
- 2014-02-02How Come They're Happy and I'm Not?: The Complete Natural Program for Healing Depression for Good
- 2014-01-24Due Diligence and the Business Transaction: Getting a Deal Done - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-20Find Out Who's Normal and Who's Not
- 2014-01-06Due Diligence and the Business Transaction: Getting a Deal Done
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.