Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2009-11-10. By anonymous.
Publisher: Longman | 2002 | ISBN 0582423864 | PDF | 253 pages | 1.2 MB
* A massively topical reprise of the critical debate about western images and stereotypes of the Arab world and Islam.
* Provides essential background to understanding this part of the world.
* Offers a brief history of the debate regarding orientalism, as defined by Said and others.
* Summarises and comments on a number of significant texts.
* Details a number of case studies which have been inspired by the debate.
* Provides a useful chronology.
* Will be important briefing document for anyone commentating on or communicating with the East - journalists, Foreign Office officials, diplomats etc.
In the 1960s and 1970s a powerful assault was launched on orientalism - the study of the Orient. At the center of this attack was Edward Said, whose devastating critique accused Western orientalists of creating stereotypical images of the East, thereby facilitating imperialism and colonialism and inciting chauvinism and racism. The debate ranged far beyond the traditional limits of 'dry-as-dust' orientalism, involving questions concerning the nature of identity, the nature of imperialism, Islamophobia, myth, Arabism, racialism, intercultural relations and feminism. Charting the history of the vigorous debate about the nature of orientalism, this timely account revisits the arguments and surveys the case studies inspired by that debate. It summarizes and comments on a number of significant texts, details a number of case studies which have been inspired by the debate, and provides a useful chronology.
NO Mirrors !!!
- Ebooks list page : 3674
- 2015-04-27Before Orientalism: Asian Peoples and Cultures in European Travel Writing, 1245-1510
- 2015-04-22Before Orientalism: Asian Peoples and Cultures in European Travel Writing, 1245-1510
- 2015-01-30Islam, Orientalism and Intellectual History: Modernity and the Politics of Exclusion since Ibn Khaldun
- 2015-01-12Picturing Chinatown: Art and Orientalism in San Francisco - Anthony W. Lee
- 2014-12-11A Metahistory of the Clash of Civilisations: Us and Them Beyond Orientalism
- 2014-12-09The Homoerotics of Orientalism
- 2014-12-02Russian Orientalism: Asia in the Russian Mind from Peter the Great to the Emigration
- 2014-11-28Legal Orientalism: China, the United States, and Modern Law
- 2014-11-24Russian Orientalism: Asia in the Russian Mind from Peter the Great to the Emigration
- 2014-11-18Legal Orientalism: China, the United States, and Modern Law
- 2014-11-08The Homoerotics of Orientalism
- 2014-10-21Picturing Chinatown: Art and Orientalism in San Francisco by Anthony W. Lee [Repost]
- 2014-07-20German Orientalism in the Age of Empire: Religion, Race, and Scholarship
- 2014-07-13German Orientalism in the Age of Empire Religion, Race, and Scholarship
- 2014-07-10Suzanne L. Marchand - German Orientalism in the Age of Empire: Religion, Race, and Scholarship
- 2014-07-10German Orientalism in the Age of Empire: Religion, Race, and Scholarship [Repost]
- 2014-06-24Empire Building: Orientalism and Victorian Architecture
- 2014-06-20Contending Visions of the Middle East: The History and Politics of Orientalism
- 2014-04-16Cold War Orientalism: Asia in the Middlebrow Imagination, 1945-1961
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.