Posted on 2017-01-12, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Michael P. Jeffries | Publisher: University Of Chicago Press | Category: Music | Language: English | Page: 280 | ISBN: 0226395855 | ISBN13: 9780226395852 |
Description: Hip-hop has come a long way from its origins in the Bronx in the 1970s, when rapping and DJing were just part of a lively, decidedly local scene that also venerated b-boying and graffiti. Now hip-hop is a global phenomenon and, in the United States, a massively successful corporate enterprise predominantly controlled and consumed by whites while the most prominent performers are black. How does this shift in racial dynamics affect our understanding of contemporary hip-hop, especially when the music perpetuates stereotypes of black men? Do black listeners interpret hip-hop differently from white fans? These questions have dogged hip-hop for decades, but unlike most pundits, Michael P. Jeffries finds answers by interviewing everyday people. Instead of turning to performers or media critics, Thug Life focuses on the music's fansyoung men, both black and whiteand the resulting account avoids romanticism, offering an unbiased examination of how hip-hop works in people's daily lives. As Jeffries weaves the fans' voices together with his own sophisticated analysis, hip-hop is revealed as a tool listeners use to make sense of the world, as well as a rich, self-contained culture containing politics, pleasure, virtue, and vice.
Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 30385
- 2013-04-25Michael P. Jeffries - Thug Life: Race, Gender And The Meaning Of Hip-Hop -PDF
- 2012-05-06Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop (repost)
- 2011-11-23Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop
- 2011-11-06Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop
- 2011-10-17Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop (Repost)
- 2011-08-15Thug Life: Race, Gender, and the Meaning of Hip-Hop
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Framing the West: Race, Gender, and the Photographic Frontier in the Pacific Northwest
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Choreographing Copyright: Race, Gender, and Intellectual Property Rights in American Dance
- 2013-02-23Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation (repost)
- 2011-01-19Microaggressions in Everyday Life: Race, Gender, and Sexual Orientation
- 2010-05-25Violence and the Body: Race, Gender, and the State
- 2009-02-02Visible Identities: Race, Gender, and the Self (Studies in Feminist Philosophy)
- 2009-01-23Work or Fight!: Race, Gender, and the Draft in World War One
- 2017-01-10[PDF] What's It All About?: Philosophy and the Meaning of Life
- 2011-12-15Breast Cancer and the Environment: A Life Course Approach free ebook download
- 2011-09-19Open Source Product Development: The Meaning and Relevance of Openness
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Self Impression: Life-Writing, Autobiografiction, and the Forms of Modern Literature
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Love & Theft: Blackface Minstrelsy and the American Working Class (Race and American Culture)
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The Jazz Revolution: Twenties America and the Meaning of Jazz
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Deep Simplicity: Chaos, Complexity and the Emergence of Life (Penguin Press Science)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.