Posted on 2007-06-13. By anonymous.
PDR for Herbal Medicines, Second Edition
By Joerg Gruenwald
Publisher: Thomson Pdr
Number Of Pages: 858
Publication Date: 2000
Sales Rank: 731475
ISBN / ASIN: 1563633612
Manufacturer: Thomson Pdr
Studio: Thomson Pdr
Average Rating: 3.5
Total Reviews: 20
Interest in and usage of herbal preparations as alternatives to pharmaceuticals has exploded in recent years. Having a complete herbal reference on hand is now absolutely necessary for doctors and other healers when a patient wants to add herbs--let's say St. John's wort--to his drug regimen. Should the patient stop taking the Paxil he's been on for depression, and if so, how long must he wait before he can start taking the St. Johns wort, and what's the recommended dosage?
The PDR for Herbal Medicines will go a long way towards answering such questions. The physician in this case would learn, after consulting the PDR, that "St. John's wort taken concomitantly with an SSRI ... may lead to an increased effect and possible toxicity 'serotonin syndrome', e.g., sweating, tremor, flushing, confusion and agitation." The same physician will also learn that the German Federal Health Authority's Commission E, which has studied the effects of hundreds of herbs, approved St. John's wort for depressive moods, among other conditions.
For more information, the physician can read about the trade names, descriptions of all the medicinal parts of the plant, actions and pharmacology (including the compounds and their effects, with citations), the results of clinical trials, contraindications, precautions and adverse reactions (photosensitization is a biggie for St. John's wort), dosage information, and a complete list of literature citations.
The second edition of this mammoth guide includes over 100 entries more than the first, bringing the total to more than 700. Additions include a selection of Asian herbs, such as Buplerum Chinese (also known as Chinese thoroughwax), which is used in Chinese medicine as an anti-inflammatory, and homeopathic preparations; a directory of manufacturers (with Internet addresses when available), a safety guide (don't use kava kava while read.freeduan.com nursing), and more. There's even a section that lists unproven uses for each herb. But make no mistake: this is a mainstream reference that relies on scientific proof above all. Therefore, this is not a guide for everyone, but for scientific and medical reference, it's a helpful and comprehensive resource, and even those who push the herbal envelope will find much valuable information here. --Stefanie Durbin
Now the most authoritative resource on herbal medicines is even better. In revising our best-selling PDR for Herbal Medicines for the new second edition, we've left no resource unturned to bring together the latest scientific data in the most comprehensive, concise, herbal reference yet compiled.
Based on the work conducted by the German Federal Health Authority's Commission E, and going far beyond our original publication, the second edition provides vast amounts of new information aimed at greatly enhancing patient management by medical practitioners.
All monographs have been updated to include the latest scientific findings, clinical trials (including abstracts), case reports, and meta-analysis results. This new information has resulted in more detailed monograph sections on herb/drug interaction side effects, contraindications, precautions, adverse reactions, and dosage.
， NEW! Monographs on over 100 additional plants - for coverage of nearly 700 herbs.
， NEW! Organized by common name - enabling you to more easily find the herb you're interested in.
， NEW! Extensive new research data on safety and efficacy.
， NEW! Expanded side effects and indications indices.
， NEW! Asian and homeopathic herbs indices - rapid reference for practitioners in these specialty areas.
， NEW! Safety Guide - covering 139 different herbs to be avoided during pregnancy and breast feeding, or used only under professional supervision.
， NEW! Expanded Drug/Herb Interaction
， NEW! Daily dosage information - for unprocessed herbs and commercially available products.
， NEW! Manufacturers' Index - including name, address, contact information, and products sold.
， NEW! Trade names - added to the monographs for available products.
， NEW! Expanded Therapeutic Category Index - example: look up "sexual dysfunction." Find l-arginine, avena sativa, muira puama, niacin, nettles, cayenne pepper, and more.
For questions regarding herbal medicines, the answer is now at hand. Order the PDR for Herbal Medicines today! Hardcover, Published Apr. 2000, in cooperation with PhytoPharm, US Institute for Phytopharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Ebooks list page : 682
- 2011-12-30Pdr for Herbal Medicines (Second Edition)
- 2011-09-15PDR for Herbal Medicines, Second Edition
- 2010-10-08Joerg Gruenwald, 束PDR for Herbal Medicines, Second Edition損 (Repost)
- 2010-04-15Pdr for Herbal Medicines (Second Edition)
- 2010-04-11PDR for Herbal Medicines, Second Edition
- 2010-04-11Joerg Gruenwald, 束PDR for Herbal Medicines, Second Edition損
- 2010-02-25PDR for Herbal Medicines, Second Edition
- 2007-06-07PDR for Herbal Medicines, Second Edition
- 2012-10-05PDR for Herbal Medicines by Thomas Fleming (Repost)
- 2010-10-05PDR for Herbal Medicines
- 2010-10-01PDR for Herbal Medicines
- 2010-04-16PDR for Herbal Medicines
- 2010-04-12PDR for Herbal Medicines
- 2012-03-22Traditional Medicinal Plants and Malaria (Traditional Herbal Medicines for Modern Times)
- 2012-05-16Designing Embedded Systems with PIC Microcontrollers, Second Edition: Principles and Applications
- 2012-01-01Fiber Bragg Gratings, Second Edition (Optics and Photonics Series)
- 2011-11-22Database System Implementation (Second Edition)
- 2011-11-02Electrical Engineering 101, Second Edition: Everything You Should Have Learned in School...but Probably Didn't
- 2011-10-29CSS The Missing Manual Second Edition
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.