Posted on 2010-02-04, updated at 2010-03-01. By anonymous.
This new edition is updated by Professor Ross, and whle it retains much of the basic and
traditional work in Case & Chllver’s Strength of Materials and Structures, it introduces modem
numerical techques, such as matrix and finite element methods.
Additionally, because of the difficulties experienced by many of today’s students with basic
traditional mathematics, the book includes an introductory chapter which covers in some detail the
application of elementary mathematics to some problems involving simple statics.
The 197 1 ehtion was begun by Mr. John Case and Lord Chlver but, because of the death of
Mr. John Case, it was completed by Lord Chlver.
Whereas many of the chapters are retained in their 197 1 version, much tuning has been applied
to some chapters, plus the inclusion of other important topics, such as the plastic theory of rigid
jointed frames, the torsion of non-circular sections, thick shells, flat plates and the stress analysis
The book covers most of the requirements for an engineering undergraduate course on strength
of materials and structures.
The introductory chapter presents much of the mathematics required for solving simple
problems in statics.
Chapter 1 provides a simple introduction to direct stresses and discusses some of the
hdamental features under the title: Strength of materials and structures.
Chapter 2 is on pin-jointed frames and shows how to calculate the internal forces in some
simple pin-jointed trusses. Chapter 3 introduces shearing stresses and Chapter 4 discusses the
modes of failure of some structural joints.
Chapter 5 is on two-dimensional stress and strain systems and Chapter 6 is on thin walled
circular cylindrical and spherical pressure vessels.
Chapter 7 deals with bending moments and shearing forces in beams, whch are extended in
Chapters 13 and 14 to include beam deflections. Chapter 8 is on geometrical properties.
Chapters 9 and 10 cover direct and shear stresses due to the bending of beams, which are
extended in Chapter 13. Chapter 11 is on beam theory for beams made from two dissimilar
materials. Chapter 15 introduces the plastic hinge theory and Chapter 16 introduces stresses due
to torsion. Chapter 17 is on energy methods and, among other applications, introduces the plastic
design of rigid-jointed plane frames.
Chapter 18 is on elastic buckling.
Chapter 19 is on flat plate theory and Chapter 20 is on the torsion of non-circular sections.
Chapter 21 is on thick cylinders and spheres.
Chapter 22 introduces matrix algebra and Chapter 23 introduces the matrix displacement
Chapter 24 introduces the finite element method and in Chapter 25 this method is extended to
cover the vibrations of complex structures.
PDF | 719 pages | 16.1 MB
- Ebooks list page : 4521
- 2011-09-27Strength of Materials and Structures
- 2010-09-28Strength of Materials and Structures 4th ed. (repost)
- 2009-07-10Strength of Materials and Structures
- 2013-12-10Physics of Strength and Fracture Control: Adaptation of Engineering Materials and Structures
- 2011-08-13Improving the Scientific Basis for Managing DOE's Excess Nuclear Materials and Spent Nuclear Fuel
- 2009-01-28Physics of Strength and Fracture Control: Adaptation of Engineering Materials and Structures - Removed
- 2013-12-10Nondestructive Testing of Materials and Structures
- 2013-11-28Mechanics and Properties of Composed Materials and Structures [Repost]
- 2013-11-19Materiomics: Multiscale Mechanics of Biological Materials and Structures
- 2013-11-15Guidelines for Applying Cohesive Models to the Damage Behaviour of Engineering Materials and Structures [Repost]
- 2013-10-28Joining of Materials and Structures: From Pragmatic Process to Enabling Technology
- 2013-10-13Protection of Materials and Structures From the Space Environment
- 2013-09-29Guidelines for Applying Cohesive Models to the Damage Behaviour of Engineering Materials and Structures
- 2013-09-28Guidelines for Applying Cohesive Models to the Damage Behaviour of Engineering Materials and Structures
- 2013-09-18Space Technologies, Materials and Structures (Welding and Allied Processes, Volume 2) - Removed
- 2013-08-31Fatigue of Materials and Structures
- 2013-08-29Fatigue of Materials and Structures: Application to Design
- 2013-08-23Advances in Computational Dynamics of Particles, Materials and Structures
- 2013-08-21Advances in Computational Dynamics of Particles, Materials and Structures
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.