Posted on 2009-03-12. By anonymous.
Edinburgh University Press | 2007 | ISBN: 0748625917 | Pages: 224 | PDF | 1.37 MB
Silence has played a crucial role in human history in important areas of our existence such as religion and the arts. Yet we live in an increasingly noisy society in which silence is under perpetual assault from the 24/7 lifestyle. The business world cynically exploits noise as part of its marketing strategy; the military deploys noise as a weapon. Without question, noise is a political issue on a global scale.
This book mounts a strong argument for silence, arguing that we need more rather than less of it in our lives. The alternative is an environment scarred even further by noise, so often the forgotten pollutant. Stuart Sim explores why silence matters, where it matters - in religion, health, the arts, thought - and why we'll suffer if space is not made for it. The confrontation between the politics of noise and the politics of silence is an issue on which we cannot stay neutral. A defence of silence is a defence of our humanity, as well as of a beleaguered environment.
*An in-depth analysis of one of the main cultural conflicts of our time: noise versus silence.
*Appeals across the reading spectrum, from the academic to the general reader.
*Explores the critical role played by silence in cultural history and its continuing relevance to us now.
*Provides a critique of the marketing strategies of the business world from a new perspective.
*Puts the conflict between noise and silence in our world into sharp political focus.
*Demonstrates why and where silence matters in our lives, and why we should seek to protect it.
..::Other Interesting Books You'd Like To Read::..
...::No mirrors, please::...
There is a growing number of phishing/spoofing rapidshare-similar mirrors in comments. Using it you run the risk of your rapidshare account being STOLEN.
Check them carefully before using, a proper RapidShare mirror has the following format:
Spoofing link is diffrent e.g.
!!!NEVER EVER USE IT!!!
If you see such links, send a PM to staff immediately (nicks of the staff are here).
Download Link 2
- Ebooks list page : 2480
- 2009-10-28Financial Missionaries to the World: The Politics and Culture of Dollar Diplomacy, 1900-1930
- 2012-02-11The Lyotard Dictionary - Stuart Sim
- 2012-01-07The Routledge Companion to Postmodernism (2nd edition) - Stuart Sim - Removed
- 2014-12-18The Routledge Companion to Postmodernism - Stuart Sim - Removed
- 2012-02-05Nonconventional Concrete Technologies: Renewal of the Highway Infrastructure (Compass series) - Committee On Nonconventional Concrete Technologies For Renewal Of The Highway Infrastructure, Commis
- 2011-12-18Nonconventional Concrete Technologies: Renewal of the Highway Infrastructure (Compass series) - Committee On Nonconventional Concrete Technologies For Renewal Of The Highway Infrastructure, Commis
- 2011-11-28Nonconventional Concrete Technologies: Renewal of the Highway Infrastructure (Compass series) - Committee On Nonconventional Concrete Technologies For Renewal Of The Highway Infrastructure, Commis
- 2011-11-21The Politics of Child Sexual Abuse: Emotion, Social Movements, and the State
- 2011-08-29Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals: Eighth Edition
- 2012-03-09Pedagogies for Development: The Politics and Practice of Child-Centred Education in India
- 2012-01-16Best for Britain?: The Politics and Legacy of Gordon Brown - Simon Lee
- 2011-12-28The Struggle for Constitutional Power: Law, Politics, and Economic Development in Egypt
- 2011-12-28Best for Britain?: The Politics and Legacy of Gordon Brown - Simon Lee
- 2011-12-11Best for Britain?: The Politics and Legacy of Gordon Brown - Simon Lee
- 2011-12-04Best for Britain?: The Politics and Legacy of Gordon Brown - Simon Lee
- 2011-12-04The Politics of Culture: The Case for Universalism
- 2011-11-09Best for Britain?: The Politics and Legacy of Gordon Brown (Repost)
- 2011-09-08The End of Modernity: What the Financial and Environmental Crisis is Really Telling Us free ebook download
- 2011-09-04The Struggle for Constitutional Power: Law, Politics, and Economic Development in Egypt
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.