Posted on 2009-02-08. By anonymous.
Brill Academic Publishers | 2006-06-30 | ISBN: 9004151974 | 832 pages | PDF | 17,8 MB
This volume examines the development and evolution of the war galley known as the Dromon, and its relative, the Chelandion, from first appearance in the sixth century until its supercession in the twelfth century by the Galea developed in the Latin West. Beginning as a small, fully-decked, monoreme galley, by the tenth century the Dromon had become a bireme, the pre-eminent war galley of the Mediterranean. The salient features of these ships were their two-banked oarage system, the spurs at their bows which replaced the ram of classical antiquity, their lateen sails, and their primary weapon: Greek Fire. The book contextualizes the technical characteristics of the ships within the operational history of Byzantine fleets, logistical problems of medieval naval warfare, and strategic objectives. Surviving Byzantine sources, especially tactical manuals, are subjected to close literary and phiological analysis.
- Ebooks list page : 2289
- 2011-10-19The Cambridge History of the Byzantine Empire c.500-1492
- 2010-05-12David Mclean - Public Health and Politics in the Age of Reform: Cholera, the State and the Royal Navy in Victorian Britain
- 2014-06-18Guide to the Soviet Navy
- 2014-04-16Ships of the Royal Navy
- 2014-04-06The Byzantine commonwealth: Eastern Europe, 500-1453 (repost)
- 2014-03-31The Washington Navy Yard - An Illustrated History
- 2014-03-26Ships of the Royal Navy (Repost)
- 2014-03-16John Paul Jones: Sailor, Hero, Father of the American Navy (Audiobook)
- 2014-03-12John Paul Jones: Sailor, Hero, Father of the American Navy (Audiobook)
- 2014-02-17Code Name: Johnny Walker: The Extraordinary Story of the Iraqi Who Risked Everything to Fight with the US Navy SEALs (Audiobook)
- 2014-02-12Code Name: Johnny Walker: The Extraordinary Story of the Iraqi Who Risked Everything to Fight with the US Navy... (Audiobook)
- 2013-12-20The Sail & Steam Navy List: All the Ships of the Royal Navy, 1815-1889
- 2013-12-181808: The Flight of the Emperor: How a Weak Prince, a Mad Queen, and the British Navy Tricked Napoleon and Changed the New World
- 2013-11-06Mine Warfare Vessels of the Royal Navy 1908 to Date (Repost)
- 2013-10-09The French Navy Volume Two (Navies of the Second World War) (Repost)
- 2013-10-09The French Navy Volume One (Navies of the Second World War) (Repost)
- 2013-10-01Skua! The Royal Navy's Dive-bomber
- 2013-09-16The Byzantine Commonwealth Eastern Europe, 500-1453
- 2013-09-14The Byzantine Commonwealth: Eastern Europe, 500- 1453
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.