Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2009-02-27, updated at 2012-10-12. By anonymous.
Publisher: Grove Press | ISBN: B000RPRW0Y | edition 2000 | PDF | 568 pages | 11,2 mb
"From the primitive village cultures in the secluded valleys of the Brahui Hills to the great cities built in the Indus basin by the mysterious Harappa people; from the coming of the charioteering Aryans a thousand years later to the intellectual and spiritual ferment of the Age of the Buddha, and the later incursions of the Muslims -- the entire sweep of India's rich history unfolds before the reader's eyes in this survey of encyclopedic scope.
It offers and all-around view of Indian culture, its political life through the ages, its cults and doctrines, its social structures, arts, languages and literature, all within the covers of a single volume.
Basham's picture of everyday life in ancient India -- of early Ayran dice games and Dravidian bull fights, of Indian erotic life and marriage customs -- is drawn with an intimacy and love of detail which will delight the general reader no less than the specialist.
He relates the class, the family and the individual to the complex structure of early Indian society and, in a detailed treatment of the religions of India, includes all the minor sects which splintered off Hinduism and Buddhism.
Whether he writes of the sensual vitality of Indian painting, discusses the subtle and complex cross rhythms of an Indian raga, or talks about the melodrama and pathos of the ancient Sanskrit theater, Basham's approach is always balanced and illuminated by comparisons with relevant non-Indian cultures and events. A wide-ranging discussion of language and literature in India contains many original translations from the classical languages and numerous summaries of the great works of Indian poetry and prose.
The 12 appendices following the text deal with topics not usually found in similar books: astronomy, medicine, the calendar, weight, measures and --in an especially interesting essay -- the origin of the gypsies.
A pictorial record of ancient India is offered in the more than 200 half-tone illustrations...and in the numerous line drawings and maps.
The book is fully indexed. "
RS Mirror: No password
Contents of this information are indexed from the Internet and not censored. All actions are under your responsibility. Send email to email@example.com to report links to illegal contents, we'll remove them immediately.
Search More...The Wonder that was India
Try RAR Password Recovery.
Please search mirrors if you can't find download links for "The Wonder that was India" in "Description" and someone else may update the links. Check the comments when back to find any updates.
Maybe some mirror pages will be helpful, search this book at top of this page or click here to find more info.
- Ebooks list page : 2408
- 2013-01-26From Galileo to Gell-Mann: The Wonder that Inspired the Greatest Scientists of All Time: In Their Own Words (repost)
- 2011-12-30[share_ebook] The Grandeur That Was Rome: Roman Art and Archaeology (The Modern Scholar)
- 2011-12-27[share_ebook] The Legend That Was Earth - James P. Hogan
- 2011-12-23[share_ebook] The Legend That Was Earth - James P. Hogan
- 2011-12-14[share_ebook] From Galileo to Gell-Mann: The Wonder that Inspired the Greatest Scientists of All Time: In Their Own Words - Marco Bersanelli
- 2011-11-26[share_ebook] The Legend That Was Earth - James P. Hogan
- 2011-10-28[share_ebook] The Legend That Was Earth free ebook download
- 2011-10-17Marco Bersanelli, Mario Gargantini, "From Galileo to Gell-Mann: The Wonder that Inspired the Greatest Scientists of All Time: In Their Own Words"
- 2011-10-13[share_ebook] From Galileo to Gell-Mann: The Wonder that Inspired the Greatest Scientists of All Time: In Their Own Words
- 2011-10-13From Galileo to Gell-Mann: The Wonder that Inspired the Greatest Scientists of All Time: In Their Own Words
- 2011-10-04The Jewel That Was Ours by Colin Dexter
- 2011-09-10[share_ebook] Kohima 1944: The battle that saved India (Osprey Campaign 229)
- 2011-06-04[share_ebook] Kohima 1944: The battle that saved India (Osprey Campaign 229)
- 2010-12-08The Grandeur That Was Rome: Roman Art and Archaeology (The Modern Scholar)
- 2009-07-19Engines of Change: The Railroads That Made India (Moving through History: Transportation and Society)
- 2013-10-30VA - Wow That Was The 70's (1999) BoxSet 8CD
- 2013-01-30The World That Never Was: A True Story of Dreamers, Schemers, Anarchists, and Secret Agents (Repost)
- 2012-04-23VA - Wow That Was The 70's (1999)
- 2012-01-21[share_ebook] The Corporation that Changed the World: How the East India Company Shaped the Modern Multinational - Nick Robins
Add Your Comments
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.