Posted on 2013-12-27. By anonymous.
Brian Clegg, "A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable"
ISBN: 1841196509 | 2003 | EPUB/MOBI | 288 pages | 1 MB/908 KB
'Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.' - Douglas Adams, "Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". We human beings have trouble with infinity - yet infinity is a surprisingly human subject. Philosophers and mathematicians have gone mad contemplating its nature and complexity - yet it is a concept routinely used by schoolchildren. Exploring the infinite is a journey into paradox. Here is a quantity that turns arithmetic on its head, making it feasible that 1 = 0. Here is a concept that enables us to cram as many extra guests as we like into an already full hotel. Most bizarrely of all, it is quite easy to show that there must be something bigger than infinity - when it surely should be the biggest thing that could possibly be. Brian Clegg takes us on a fascinating tour of that borderland between the extremely large and the ultimate that takes us from Archimedes, counting the grains of sand that would fill the universe, to the latest theories on the physical reality of the infinite. Full of unexpected delights, whether St Augustine contemplating the nature of creation, Newton and Leibniz battling over ownership of calculus, or Cantor struggling to publicise his vision of the transfinite, infinity's fascination is in the way it brings together the everyday and the extraordinary, prosaic daily life and the esoteric. Whether your interest in infinity is mathematical, philosophical, spiritual or just plain curious, this accessible book offers a stimulating and entertaining read.
- Ebooks list page : 24372
- 2018-01-06[PDF] A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable
- 2012-05-17Afghanistan: A Military History From Alexander The Great To The Fall Of The Taliban
- 2019-01-31History of Japan A brief history of Japan - the Land of the Rising Sun
- 2019-01-24History of Japan A brief history of Japan - the Land of the Rising Sun
- 2018-07-17A Brief History of Time The Updated and Expanded Tenth Anniversary Edition by Stephen Hawking
- 2018-01-27[PDF] A Brief History of Entrepreneurship: The Pioneers, Profiteers, and Racketeers Who Shaped Our World (Columbia Business School Publishing)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] A Brief History of Misogyny: the World's Oldest Prejudice (Brief Histories)
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable [Audiobooks]
- 2018-01-02[PDF] Twentieth-Century Europe: A Brief History, 1900 to the Present
- 2017-12-31[PDF] The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable
- 2017-12-12[PDF] A Brief History of Montmaray (The Montmaray Journals)
- 2017-10-13[PDF] A Brief History of Tomorrow: The Future Past and Present
- 2017-07-23A Brief History of Misogyny: The Worldâ€™s Oldest Prejudice
- 2017-03-10A Brief History of Entrepreneurship The Pioneers, Profiteers, and Racketeers
- 2017-02-08[PDF] A Brief History of Montmaray (The Montmaray Journals)
- 2014-04-11The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable (repost)
- 2014-03-06Twentieth-Century Europe: A Brief History, 1900 to the Present
- 2013-09-19The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable (Audiobook)
- 2013-09-16The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable (Audiobook)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.