Posted on 2018-11-14, by voska89.
A World More Concrete: Real Estate and the Remaking of Jim Crow South Florida (Historical Studies of Urban America) by N.d.b Connolly
English | 2 Sept. 2014 | ISBN: 0226115143 | 405 Pages | PDF | 2.31 MB
Many people understand urban renewal projects and the power of eminent domain as two of the most widely despised, and even racist, tools for reshaping American cities in the postwar period. In A World More Concrete, N. D. B. Connolly unearths a far more complex story. Connolly scrutinizes nearly eighty years of history and reveals how real estate and land development in South Florida are expressions of political culture, racial power, and metropolitan transformation. He uses a materialist approach to offer a long view of urban redevelopment and the color line, following much of the money that made Jim Crow segregation a profitable and durable social process in cities throughout the twentieth century. Connolly argues that black and white landlords, entrepreneurs, and even liberal community leaders helped create a political culture that, through rents, took advantage of the poor to generate remarkable wealth and advance property rights at the expense of more inclusive visions of equality. For elite blacks, as for their white allies, uses of eminent domain helped to harden class and color lines. Yet confiscating certain kinds of real estate also promised to help improve housing conditions, to undermine the neighborhood influence of powerful slumlords, and to open new opportunities for suburban life for black Floridians. Concerned more with winners and losers than with heroes and villains, A World More Concrete offers a sober assessment of money and power in Jim Crow America. It shows how negotiations between powerful real estate interests on both sides of the color line gave racial segregation a remarkable capacity to evolve, revealing property owners' power to reshape American cities in ways that can still be seen and felt today.
Download ( Rapidgator )
Download ( NitroFlare )
- Ebooks list page : 37723
- 2017-12-23[PDF] A World More Concrete: Real Estate and the Remaking of Jim Crow South Florida (Historical Studies of Urban America)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] A World More Concrete: Real Estate and the Remaking of Jim Crow South Florida (Historical Studies of Urban America)
- 2017-11-20[PDF] Patience and Fortitude: Power, Real Estate, and the Fight to Save a Public Library
- 2017-11-10[PDF] Real Estate and the New Economy: The Impact of Information and Communications Technology (Real Estate Issues)
- 2014-06-17Real Estate and the New Economy
- 2014-06-01Real Estate and the New Economy: The Impact of Information and Communications Technology (repost)
- 2011-05-15Sustainable Property Development: A Guide to Real Estate and the Environment
- 2011-01-08Sustainable Property Development: A Guide to Real Estate and the Environment By Miles Keeping, David Shiers
- 2009-04-27Real Estate and the New Economy: The Impact of Information and Communications Technology
- 2009-04-24Timothy Dixon, Bob Thompson - Real Estate and the New Economy: The Impact of Information and Communications Technology
- 2009-03-02Real Estate and the New Economy: The Impact of Information and Communications Technology
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Worse than Slavery: Parchman Farm and the Ordeal of Jim Crow Justice
- 2017-11-15[PDF] No Mercy Here: Gender, Punishment, and the Making of Jim Crow Modernity (Justice, Power, and Politics)
- 2008-02-19[request]Commercial Real Estate Analysis and Investments
- 2012-03-20Doing the Right Thing: A Real Estate Practitioner's Guide to Ethical Decision Making, 4 Edition By Deborah H. Long
- 2019-07-13The Real Estate Agent Academy The Real Estate And Wealth Investing Blueprint
- 2019-03-31The Real Estate Agent Academy - The Real Estate and Wealth Investing Blueprint
- 2019-03-30The Real Estate Agent Academy - The Real Estate and Wealth Investing Blueprint
- 2019-03-19The Real Estate Agent Academy - The Real Estate And Wealth Investing Blueprint
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.