Author: Marlena De Blasi
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Posted on 2012-09-28, by sharebookfree.
Amandine: A Novel
Marlena De Blasi | Ballantine Books | English | AZW3,PDF,RTF,EPUB,LIT,LRF,MOBI,FB2,PDB,TXT,HTMLZ
Marlena de Blasi, the acclaimed author of such delectable memoirs as A Thousand Days in Venice and That Summer in Sicily, now brings her luminous prose to the world of fiction with this remarkable debut novel. Set against the backdrop of Europe as it moves inexorably toward World War II, Amandine follows a young orphanâ€™s journey in search of her heritage.
The story opens in Krakow in 1931, as a baby girl is conceived out of wedlock, the byproduct of a foolish heart and a tragic inheritance. The childâ€™s grandmother, a countess, believes that she is protecting her daughter when she claims that the baby didnâ€™t survive. In truth, however, she deposits the infant at a remote convent in the French countryside, leaving her with a great sum of money and in the care of a young governess named Solange.
Solange takes it upon herself to give the child a distinctive name, Amandine, and the two form a special bond. But even Solangeâ€™s unconditional love cannot protect her charge. Mistrusted by both the abbess and the convent girls, the unusually astute and curious Amandine finds her childhood filled with challenges and questions: Who is she? Where does she come from?
Â Â Â
Eventually, Solange is forced to choose between the terrors of the convent and those of a global war looming outside its doors. Thus, with a purseful of worthless francs and a sack of provisions, the two flee north toward Solangeâ€™s childhood home. But what should have been a two-day journey by train becomes a perilous, years-long odyssey across Occupied Franceâ€”and deeper into the treacheries of war.
Tracing the flight of Amandine and Solange while peering into the lives of the countess and her daughter, Amandineâ€™s mother, who still mourns and dreams of the child she thinks she lost forever, Marlena de Blasiâ€™s epic novel winds its way toward a dramatic and compelling conclusion, as mother and daughter draw ever nearer. Amandine is a sumptuous tale of identity and survival, persistent hope and unexpected love.
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- 2011-10-31Amandine: A Novel
- Ebooks list page : 20093
- 2011-10-31Amandine: A Novel
- 2012-05-11Electron Crystallography: Novel Approaches for Structure Determination of Nanosized Materials
- 2012-03-10The Sixes: A Novel (Audiobook) By Kate White, read by Jennifer Cohn
- 2011-09-28Novel Treatment of Epilepsy
- 2011-08-23World History: In Graphic Novel - Removed
- 2011-08-09Novel Applications of the UWB Technologies
- 2019-02-10The Spirit of Science Fiction: A Novel
- 2019-02-08The Water Cure: A Novel [Audiobook]
- 2019-02-05A Companion to the Ancient Novel
- 2019-02-04Sell Your Novel to a Major Publisher
- 2019-01-31Supercooled Liquids. Advances and Novel Applications
- 2019-01-31Love and Death in the American Novel
- 2019-01-31Rational Drug Design. Novel Methodology and Practical Applications
- 2019-01-31Find Time to Write Your Novel
- 2019-01-31A Companion to the Ancient Novel
- 2019-01-31Reading the American Novel 1780-1865
- 2019-01-31Tear It Down (A Peter Ash Novel)
- 2019-01-31Composite Sampling A Novel Method to Accomplish Observational Economy in Environmental Studies
- 2019-01-31Service Innovation Novel Ways of Creating Value in Actor Systems
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.