Author: Chris Hedges
Publisher: Free Press
Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2011-10-03, by LionFar.
|Title:American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America free ebook download
|Description:Twenty-five years ago, when Pat Robertson and other radio and televangelists first spoke of the United States becoming a Christian nation that would build a global Christian empire, it was hard to take such hyperbolic rhetoric seriously. Today, such language no longer sounds like hyperbole but poses, instead, a very real threat to our freedom and our way of life. In American Fascists, Chris Hedges, veteran journalist and author of the National Book Award finalist War Is a Force That Gives Us Meaning, challenges the Christian Right's religious legitimacy and argues that at its core it is a mass movement fueled by unbridled nationalism and a hatred for the open society.
Hedges, who grew up in rural parishes in upstate New York where his father was a Presbyterian pastor, attacks the movement as someone steeped in the Bible and Christian tradition. He points to the hundreds of senators and members of Congress who have earned between 80 and 100 percent approval ratings from the three most influential Christian Right advocacy groups as one of many signs that the movement is burrowing deep inside the American government to subvert it. The movement's call to dismantle the wall between church and state and the intolerance it preaches against all who do not conform to its warped vision of a Christian America are pumped into tens of millions of American homes through Christian television and radio stations, as well as reinforced through the curriculum in Christian schools. The movement's yearning for apocalyptic violence and its assault on dispassionate, intellectual inquiry are laying the foundation for a new, frightening America.
American Fascists, which includes interviews and coverage of events such as pro-life rallies and weeklong classes on conversion techniques, examines the movement's origins, its driving motivations and its dark ideological underpinnings. Hedges argues that the movement currently resembles the young fascist movements in Italy and Germany in the 1920s and '30s, movements that often masked the full extent of their drive for totalitarianism and were willing to make concessions until they achieved unrivaled power. The Christian Right, like these early fascist movements, does not openly call for dictatorship, nor does it use
physical violence to suppress opposition. In short, the movement is not yet revolutionary. But the ideological architecture of a Christian fascism is being cemented in place. The movement has roused its followers to a fever pitch of despair and fury. All it will take, Hedges writes, is one more national crisis on the order of September 11 for the Christian Right to make a concerted drive to destroy American democracy. The movement awaits a crisis. At that moment they will reveal themselves for what they truly are -- the American heirs to fascism. Hedges issues a potent, impassioned warning. We face an imminent threat. His book reminds us of the dangers liberal, democratic societies face when they tolerate the intolerant.
Download American Fascists: The Christian Right and the War On America free ebook download
Download from DEPOSITFILES
Download from FILESONIC
- Ebooks list page : 14100
- 2011-11-02A World of Trouble: The White House and the Middle East--from the Cold War to the War on Terror free ebook download
- 2012-01-03The War with Earth free ebook download
- 2011-11-20This Man's Army: A Soldier's Story from the Frontlines of the War on Terrorism free ebook download
- 2012-01-19Private Lives/Public Consequences: Personality and Politics in Modern America free ebook download
- 2012-01-24Moonwalking with Einstein: The Art and Science of Remembering Everything free ebook download
- 2012-01-03Field Armies and Fortifications in the Civil War: The Eastern Campaigns, 1861-1864 (Civil War America) free ebook download - Removed
- 2011-11-17Abel's Proof: An Essay on the Sources and Meaning of Mathematical Unsolvability free ebook download
- 2011-09-16Sustainability and the U.S. EPA free ebook download
- 2012-01-24The State of the Earth: Environmental Challenges on the Road to 2100 free ebook download
- 2012-01-05Officers and Soldiers of the French Army, 1940 free ebook download
- 2011-12-17Good Vibrations: The Physics of Music free ebook download
- 2011-12-04The Happiness Project: Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun free ebook download
- 2011-10-06The Visual Mind II free ebook download
- 2011-10-03American Conspiracies: Lies, Lies, and More Dirty Lies that the Government Tells Us free ebook download
- 2011-10-01The Components of Life free ebook download
- 2012-01-29Home Makeovers That Sell: Quick and Easy Ways to Get the Highest Possible Price free ebook download
- 2012-01-29The Words and Music of David Bowie free ebook download
- 2012-01-29The Words and Music of Carole King free ebook download
- 2012-01-29Living through Pain: Psalms and the Search for Wholeness free ebook download
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.