Author: Anthony Slide
Publisher: The University Press of Kentucky
Posted on 2011-08-30, by sharebookfree.
American Racist: The Life and Films of Thomas Dixon
Anthony Slide | The University Press of Kentucky | 2011-09-30 | 264 pages | English | PDF
" Thomas Dixon has a notorious reputation as the writer of the source material for D.W. Griffith's groundbreaking and controversial 1915 feature film The Birth of a Nation. Perhaps unfairly, Dixon has been branded an arch-conservative and a racist obsessed with what he viewed as "the Negro problem." As American Racist makes clear, however, Dixon was a complex, multitalented individual who, as well as writing some of the most popular novels of the early twentieth century, was involved in the production of some eighteen films. Dixon used the motion picture as a propaganda tool for his often outrageous opinions on race, communism, socialism, and feminism. His most spectacular production, The Fall of a Nation (1916), argues for American preparedness in the face of war and boasts a musical score by Victor Herbert, making it the first American feature film to have an original score by a major composer. Like the majority of Dixon's films, The Fall of a Nation has been lost, but had it survived, it might well have taken its place alongside The Birth of a Nation as a masterwork of silent film. Anthony Slide examines each of Dixon's films and discusses the novels from which they were adapted. Slide chronicles Dixon's transformation from a major supporter of the original Ku Klux Klan in his early novels to an ardent critic of the modern Klan in his last film, Nation Aflame. American Racist is the first book to discuss Dixon's work outside of literature and provide a wide overview of the life and career of this highly controversial twentieth-century southern populist. Anthony Slide is the author of numerous books, including Silent Players: A Biographical and Autobiographical Study of 100 Silent Film Actors and Actresses.
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- Ebooks list page : 13207
- 2014-03-21American Racist: The Life and Films of Thomas Dixon (repost)
- 2013-04-03American Racist: The Life and Films of Thomas Dixon - Anthony Slide (2004) (PDF)
- 2011-05-12American Racist: The Life and Films of Thomas Dixon
- 2012-05-18The Illustrated Red Baron: The Life and Times of Manfred von Richthofen
- 2012-03-07Wizard: The Life and Times of Nikola Tesla: Biography of a Genius (Audiobook) By Marc J. Seifer, read by Simon Prebble
- 2019-01-15The Futurist The Life and Films of James Cameron
- 2019-01-09The Futurist The Life and Films of James Cameron
- 2018-06-23Mencken the American Iconoclast The Life and Times of the Bad Boy of Baltimore [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Escape Artist: The Life and Films of John Sturges (Wisconsin Studies in Film)
- 2017-12-12[PDF] Tough as Nails: The Life and Films of Richard Brooks (Wisconsin Film Studies)
- 2017-11-20[PDF] American Isis: The Life and Art of Sylvia Plath
- 2017-02-06[PDF] American Isis: The Life and Art of Sylvia Plath
- 2017-01-14[PDF] Tough as Nails: The Life and Films of Richard Brooks (Wisconsin Film Studies)
- 2014-01-12Ingmar Bergman: The Life and Films of the Last Great European Director - eazydoc.com
- 2013-12-18American Mirror: The Life and Art of Norman Rockwell (Audiobook)
- 2013-05-03The Futurist: The Life and Films of James Cameron (Repost)
- 2012-10-18Ingmar Bergman: The Life and Films of the Last Great European Director
- 2012-05-23Escape Artist: The Life and Films of John Sturges
- 2012-02-16William Powell: The Life and Films
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.