Posted on 2019-01-24, by nokia241186.
An Archaeology of Structural Violence: Life in a Twentieth-Century Coal Town (Cultural Heritage Studies) by Michael P. Roller
2018 | ISBN: 081305608X | English | 254 pages | PDF | 25 MB
Drawing on material evidence from daily life in a Pennsylvania coal-mining town, this book offers an up-close view of the political economy of the United States over the course of the twentieth century. This community's story illustrates the great ironies of this era, showing how modernist progress and plenty were inseparable from the destructive cycles of capitalism.
At the heart of this book is one of the bloodiest yet least-known acts of labor violence in American history, the 1897 Lattimer Massacre, in which 19 striking immigrant mineworkers were killed and 40 more were injured. Michael Roller looks beneath this moment of outright violence at the everyday material and spatial conditions that supported it, pointing to the growth of shanty enclaves on the periphery of the town that reveals the reliance of coal companies on immigrant surplus labor. Roller then documents the changing landscape of the region after the event as the anthracite coal industry declined, as well as community redevelopment efforts in the late twentieth century.
This rare sustained geographical focus and long historical view illuminates the rise of soft forms of power and violence over workers, citizens, and consumers between the late 1800s and the present day. Roller expertly blends archaeology, labor history, ethnography, and critical social theory to demonstrate how the archaeology of the recent past can uncover the deep foundations of today's social troubles.
A volume in the series Cultural Heritage Studies, edited by Paul A. Shackel
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 38782
- 2019-01-11An Archaeology of Structural Violence Life in a Twentieth-Century Coal Town
- 2019-03-26In Small Things Forgotten An Archaeology of Early American Life
- 2019-03-20In Small Things Forgotten An Archaeology of Early American Life
- 2019-03-17In Small Things Forgotten An Archaeology of Early American Life
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Red Tape: Bureaucracy, Structural Violence, and Poverty in India (a John Hope Franklin Center Book)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Africa and Archaeology: Empowering an Expatriate Life
- 2016-12-22Red Tape Bureaucracy, Structural Violence, and Poverty in India
- 2011-07-20Africa and Archaeology: Empowering an Expatriate Life
- 2011-05-02Africa and Archaeology: Empowering an Expatriate Life
- 2019-08-27Heart of Buddha, Heart of China The Life of Tanxu, a Twentieth Century Monk
- 2019-05-03Political Violence in Twentieth-Century Europe
- 2019-03-27Political Violence in Twentieth-Century Europe
- 2019-01-31Learning for Life in the 21st Century Sociocultural Perspectives on the Future of Education
- 2018-12-05Violence, Coercion, and State-Making in Twentieth-Century Mexico The Other Half of the Centaur
- 2018-11-06Kevin McCloud's 43 Principles of Home Enjoying Life in the 21st Century
- 2018-10-15The People's City African Life in Twentieth-Century Durban
- 2018-09-03Peasant Violence and Antisemitism in Early Twentieth-Century Eastern Europe
- 2018-08-26The People's City African Life in Twentieth-Century Durban
- 2018-08-14Shtetl The Life and Death of a Small Town and the World of Polish Jews
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.