Posted on 2018-10-01, by nokia241186.
Sophie Loy-Wilson, "Australians in Shanghai: Race, rights and nation in treaty port China"
2017 | ISBN-10: 1138797626 | 164 pages | PDF | 7 MB
In the first half of the twentieth century, a diverse community of Australians settled in Shanghai. There they forged a 'China trade', circulating goods, people and ideas across the South China Sea, from Shanghai and Hong Kong to Sydney and Melbourne. This trade has been largely forgotten in contemporary Australia, where future economic ties trump historical memory when it comes to popular perceptions of China. After the First World War, Australians turned to Chinese treaty ports, fleeing poverty and unemployment, while others sought to 'save' China through missionary work and socialist ideas. Chinese Australians, disillusioned by Australian racism under the White Australia Policy, arrived to participate in Chinese nation building and ended up forging business empires which survive to this day.
This book follows the life trajectories of these Australians, providing a means by which we can address one of the pervading tensions of race, empire and nation in the twentieth century: the relationship between working-class aspirations for social mobility and the exclusionary and discriminatory practices of white settler societies.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 37274
- 2018-07-20Australians in Shanghai Race, rights and nation in treaty port China
- 2009-01-30Hygienic Modernity: Meanings of Health and Disease in Treaty-Port China
- 2017-10-08[PDF] Broken Links, Enduring Ties: American Adoption across Race, Class, and Nation
- 2018-05-07Life in Treaty Port China and Japan
- 2019-01-24Arc of Justice A Saga of Race, Civil Rights, and Murder in the Jazz Age [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-10Arc of Justice A Saga of Race, Civil Rights, and Murder in the Jazz Age [Audiobook]
- 2018-12-06I Am a Man! Race, Manhood, and the Civil Rights Movement
- 2018-11-22A History of the Nation of Islam Race, Islam, and the Quest for Freedom
- 2018-11-12Body, Society, and Nation The Creation of Public Health and Urban Culture in Shanghai
- 2018-10-30Choreographing Copyright Race, Gender, and Intellectual Property Rights in American Dance
- 2018-08-09The Dominican Racial Imaginary Surveying the Landscape of Race and Nation in Hispaniola
- 2018-06-15American Crucible Race and Nation in the Twentieth Century
- 2018-06-02Growing Up with the Country Family, Race, and Nation After the Civil War
- 2018-05-01Growing Up with the Country : Family, Race, and Nation After the Civil War
- 2018-04-13American Crucible Race and Nation in the Twentieth Century
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Alien Bodies: Representations of Modernity, 'Race' and Nation in Early Modern Dance
- 2018-01-09[PDF] For Jobs and Freedom: Race and Labor in America since 1865 (Civil Rights and the Struggle for Black Equality in the Twentieth Century) - Removed
- 2018-01-07[PDF] I Am a Man!: Race, Manhood, and the Civil Rights Movement
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Founding Rivals: Madison vs. Monroe, The Bill of Rights, and The Election that Saved a Nation
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.