Posted on 2017-06-18, by everest555.
Black Rights/White Wrongs: The Critique of Racial Liberalism (Transgressing Boundaries: Studies in Black Politics and Black Communities) by Charles W. Mills
2017 | ISBN: 0190245425, 0190245417 | English | 304 pages | PDF | 2 MB
Liberalism is the political philosophy of equal persons - yet liberalism has denied equality to those it saw as sub-persons. Liberalism is the creed of fairness - yet liberalism has been complicit with European imperialism and African slavery. Liberalism is the classic ideology of Enlightenment and political transparency - yet liberalism has cast a dark veil over its actual racist past and present. In sum, liberalism's promise of equal rights has historically been denied to blacks and other people of color.
In Black Rights/White Wrongs: The Critique of Racial Liberalism, political philosopher Charles Mills challenges mainstream accounts that ignore this history and its current legacy in self-conceivable liberal polities today. Mills argues that rather than bracket as an anomaly the role of racism in the development of liberal theory, we should see it as shaping that theory in fundamental ways. As feminists have urged us to see the dominant form of liberalism as a patriarchal liberalism, so too Mills suggests we should see it as a racialized liberalism. It is unsurprising, then, if contemporary liberalism has yet to deliver on the recognition of black rights and the correction of white wrongs.
These essays look at racial liberalism, past and present: "white ignorance" as a guilty ignoring of social reality that facilitates white racial domination; Immanuel Kant's role as the most important liberal theorist of both personhood and sub-personhood; the centrality of racial exploitation in the United States; and the evasion of white supremacy in John Rawls's "ideal theory" framing of social justice and in the work of most other contemporary white political philosophers. Nonetheless, Mills still believes that a deracialized liberalism is both possible and desirable. He concludes by calling on progressives to "Occupy liberalism!" and develop accordingly a radical liberalism aimed at achieving racial justice.
- Ebooks list page : 31657
- 2017-10-26[PDF] Top Down: The Ford Foundation, Black Power, and the Reinvention of Racial Liberalism (Politics and Culture in Modern America)
- 2017-11-06[PDF] The Problem of the Color[blind]: Racial Transgression and the Politics of Black Performance (Theater: Theory/Text/Performance)
- 2017-04-19A Black Man in the White House: Barack Obama and the Triggering of America's Racial-Aversion Crisis
- 2017-03-13A Black Man in the White House: Barack Obama and the Triggering of America's Racial-Aversion Crisis
- 2012-03-11Cara Black - Murder in the Marais (Aimee Leduc Investigations, Book 1)
- 2011-12-29After the Dream: Black and White Southerners since 1965 (Civil Rights and the Struggle for Black Equality in the Twentieth Century)
- 2011-05-22Scripting the Black Masculine Body: Identity, Discourse, And Racial Politics in Popular Media (Suny Series, the Negotiation of Identity)
- 2011-03-16Scripting the Black Masculine Body: Identity, Discourse, And Racial Politics in Popular Media
- 2010-10-31Thelma Wills Foote - Black and White Manhattan: The History of Racial Formation in Colonial New York City
- 2019-06-17Read Online Black Death at the Golden Gate: The Race to Save America from the Bubonic Plague by David K. Randall in PDF Epub
- 2019-03-27Dying of Whiteness How the Politics of Racial Resentment Is Killing America's Heartland [Audiobook]
- 2019-03-25The Making of Modern Liberalism
- 2019-02-24Black Lightning S02E11 The Book of Secrets Chapter One Prodigal Son 720p NF WEB DL
- 2019-02-08Black Lightning S02E11 The Book of Secrets Chapter One Prodigal Son 720p NF WEB DL...
- 2019-01-31Reducing the Risk of Black Swans Using the Science of Investing to Capture Returns with Less Vola
- 2019-01-30The Iron Cage of Liberalism International Politics and Unarmed Revolutions in the Middle East and
- 2019-01-25The Critique of Regression
- 2019-01-16Nobody Is Supposed to Know Black Sexuality on the Down Low
- 2019-01-15The Critique of Pure Reason [Audiobook]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.