Author: Thomas Homer-Dixon
Publisher: Vintage Canada
Posted on 2011-11-27, by sharebookfree.
Carbon Shift: How Peak Oil and the Climate Crisis Will Change Canada (and Our Lives)
Thomas Homer-Dixon | Vintage Canada | 2011-04-28 | 240 pages | English | EPUB, MOBI
"We are now so abusing the Earth that it may rise and move back to the hot state it was in fifty-five million years ago, and if it does, most of us, and our descendants, will die."
-James Lovelock, leading climate expert and author of The Revenge of Gaia
"I don't see why people are so worried about global warming destroying the planet - peak oil will take care of that."
-Matthew Simmons, energy investment banker and author of Twilight in the Desert: The Coming Saudi Oil Shock and the World Economy
The twin crises of climate change and peaking oil production are converging on us. If they are not to cook the planet and topple our civilization, we will need informed and decisive policies, clear-sighted innovation, and a lucid understanding of what is at stake. We will need to know where we stand, and which direction we should start out in. These are the questions Carbon Shift addresses.
Thomas Homer-Dixon, author of The Ingenuity Gap and The Upside of Down, argues that the two problems are really one: a carbon problem. We depend on carbon energy to fuel our complex economies and societies, and at the same time this very carbon is fatally contaminating our atmosphere. To solve one of these problems will require solving the other at the same time. In other words, we still have a chance to tackle two monumental challenges with one innovative solution: clean, low-carbon energy.
Carbon Shift brings together six of Canada's world-class experts to explore the question of where we stand now, and where we might be headed. It explores the economics, the geology, the politics, and the science of the predicament we find ourselves in. And it gives each expert the chance to address what they think are the most important facets of the complex problem before us.
There are no experts in Canada better positioned to explain the world that awaits us just beyond the horizon, and no better guide to that future than this collection of their thoughts. Densely packed with information, but accessibly written and powerfully timely, Carbon Shift will be an indispensable handbook to the difficult choices that lie ahead.
David Hughes is a former senior geoscientist with the Geological Survey of Canada
David Keith is Canada Research Chair in Energy and the Environment, University of Calgary
Jeff Rubin is Chief Economist, Chief Strategist and Managing Director, CIBC World Markets
Mark Jaccard is professor of environmental economics in the School of Resource and Environmental Management at Simon Fraser University and a member of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
William Marsden is an investigative reporter and author of Stupid to the Last Drop: How Alberta Is Bringing Environmental Armageddon to Canada (And Doesn't Seem to Care)
Jeffrey Simpson is a Globe and Mail national columnist and author, with Mark Jaccard, of Hot Air: Meeting Canada's Climate Change Challenge
With a foreword by Ronald Wright, author of A Short History of Progress and What is America?
From the Hardcover edition.
**** No Mirrors below, please! Follow Rules! ****
- Ebooks list page : 15647
- 2017-12-15[PDF] The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring on the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World [Audiobook]
- 2014-03-23The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring on the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World (Audiobook)
- 2012-08-22The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring On the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World
- 2011-12-28The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring On the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World
- 2011-12-06The Great Disruption: Why the Climate Crisis Will Bring On the End of Shopping and the Birth of a New World
- 2019-05-09Changing Planet, Changing Health How the Climate Crisis Threatens Our Health and What We Can Do a
- 2019-03-24Changing Planet, Changing Health How the Climate Crisis Threatens Our Health and What We Can Do a...
- 2019-02-01The Weather Makers How Man is Changing the Climate and What it Means for Life on Earth [Audiobook]
- 2018-06-23The Carbon Code How You Can Become a Climate Change Hero
- 2018-06-08The Carbon Code How You Can Become a Climate Change Hero
- 2018-05-11Young China: How the Restless Generation Will Change Their Country and the World [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-23[PDF] Peak Oil and What To Do About It
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Changing Planet, Changing Health: How the Climate Crisis Threatens Our Health and What We Can Do about It (University of California Press)
- 2017-12-03[PDF] The Nurture Effect: How the Science of Human Behavior Can Improve Our Lives and Our World
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Beyond Reengineering: How the Process-Centered Organization is Changing Our Work and Our Lives
- 2017-10-18[PDF] Insourced: How Importing Jobs Impacts the Healthcare Crisis Here and Abroad (Geisel Series in Global Health and Medicine)
- 2017-04-19The Nurture Effect - How the Science of Human Behavior Can Improve Our Lives and Our World
- 2017-03-14The Nurture Effect - How the Science of Human Behavior Can Improve Our Lives and Our World
- 2017-02-03The Nurture Effect - How the Science of Human Behavior Can Improve Our Lives and Our World
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.