Posted on 2018-11-13, by voska89.
Colonial al-Andalus: Spain and the Making of Modern Moroccan Culture by Eric Calderwood
English | April 9, 2018 | ISBN: 0674980328 | 408 pages | AZW3 | 3.07 MB
Through state-backed Catholicism, monolingualism, militarism, and dictatorship, Spain's fascists earned their reputation for intolerance. It may therefore come as a surprise that 80,000 Moroccans fought at General Franco's side in the 1930s. What brought these strange bedfellows together, Eric Calderwood argues, was a highly effective propaganda weapon: the legacy of medieval Muslim Iberia, known as al-Andalus. This legacy served to justify Spain's colonization of Morocco and also to define the Moroccan national culture that supplanted colonial rule.
Writers of many political stripes have celebrated convivencia, the fabled "coexistence" of Christians, Muslims, and Jews in medieval Iberia. According to this widely-held view, modern Spain and Morocco are joined through their shared Andalusi past. Colonial al-Andalus traces this supposedly timeless narrative to the mid-1800s, when Spanish politicians and intellectuals first used it to press for Morocco's colonization. Franco later harnessed convivencia to the benefit of Spain's colonial program in Morocco. This shift precipitated an eloquent historical irony. As Moroccans embraced the Spanish insistence on Morocco's Andalusi heritage, a Spanish idea about Morocco gradually became a Moroccan idea about Morocco.
Drawing on a rich archive of Spanish, Arabic, French, and Catalan sources-including literature, historiography, journalism, political speeches, schoolbooks, tourist brochures, and visual arts-Calderwood reconstructs the varied political career of convivencia and al-Andalus, showing how shared pasts become raw material for divergent contemporary ideologies, including Spanish fascism and Moroccan nationalism. Colonial al-Andalus exposes the limits of simplistic oppositions between European and Arab, Christian and Muslim, that shape current debates about European colonialism.
Download ( Rapidgator )
Download ( NitroFlare )
- Ebooks list page : 37709
- 2019-03-27Colonial al-Andalus Spain and the Making of Modern Moroccan Culture
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Literary Coteries and the Making of Modern Print Culture: 1740-1790
- 2017-10-27[PDF] Classroom Wars: Language, Sex, and the Making of Modern Political Culture
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Classroom Wars: Language, Sex, and the Making of Modern Political Culture
- 2011-12-31The Ultimate Experience: Battlefield Revelations and the Making of Modern War Culture, 1450-2000
- 2011-09-10The Ultimate Experience: Battlefield Revelations and the Making of Modern War Culture, 1450-2000
- 2011-09-10The Ultimate Experience: Battlefield Revelations and the Making of Modern War Culture, 1450-2000 - Removed
- 2011-11-25Wired Wilderness: Technologies of Tracking and the Making of Modern Wildlife (Animals, History, Culture)
- 2019-11-06Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2019-09-27Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2019-09-09Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2019-08-27Jacques Offenbach and the Making of Modern Culture
- 2019-07-26%(Recommended) - Why You Should Read The Game of Our Lives: The English Premier League and the Making of Modern Britain by David Goldblatt Online or Download [MOBI EPUB PDF]
- 2019-07-11The Gospel of Kindness Animal Welfare and the Making of Modern America
- 2019-07-04Erotic City - Sexual Revolutions and the Making of Modern San Francisco
- 2019-05-10The Gunning of America Business and the Making of American Gun Culture
- 2019-03-23The Gunning of America Business and the Making of American Gun Culture
- 2019-01-30Making Radio Early Radio Production and the Rise of Modern Sound Culture
- 2019-01-12The Hurlers: The First All-Ireland Championship and the Making of Modern Hurling
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.