Posted on 2014-06-18. By anonymous.
English | 2012 | ISBN: 0199654271 | 352 pages | PDF | 1,9 MB
This volume explores the expression of the concepts count and mass in human language and probes the complex relation between seemingly incontrovertible aspects of meaning and their varied grammatical realizations across languages. In English, count nouns are those that can be counted and pluralized (two cats), whereas mass nouns cannot be, at least not without a change in meaning (#two rices).
The chapters in this volume explore the question of the cognitive and linguistic universality and variability of the concepts count and mass from philosophical, semantic, and morpho-syntactic points of view, touching also on issues in acquisition and processing. The volume also significantly contributes to our cross-linguistic knowledge, as it includes chapters with a focus on Blackfoot, Cantonese, Dagaare, English, Halkomelem, Lithuanian, Malagasy, Mandarin, Ojibwe, and Persian, as well as discussion of several other languages including Armenian, Hungarian, and Korean. The overall consensus of this volume is that while the general concepts of count and mass are available to all humans, forms of grammaticalization involving number, classifiers, and determiners play a key role in their linguistic treatment, and indeed in whether these concepts are grammatically expressed at all. This variation may be reflect the fact that count/mass is just one possible realization of a deeper and broader concept, itself related to the categories of nominal and verbal aspect.
- Ebooks list page : 27730
- 2014-06-18Count and Mass Across Languages
- 2017-04-11[PDF] Children's Discourse: Person, Space and Time across Languages (Cambridge Studies in Linguistics)
- 2010-07-28Children's Discourse: Person, Space and Time across Languages
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Translation as Communication across Languages and Cultures
- 2017-01-09[PDF] Affix Ordering Across Languages and Frameworks
- 2014-04-12Gender Across Languages: The linguistic representation of women and men. Volume 1
- 2014-01-24Gender Across Languages: The Linguistic Representation of Women and Men - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-19Research in Logopedics: Speech and Language Therapy in Finland (Communication Disorders Across Languages) - Removed
- 2013-09-04First Language Acquisition of Morphology and Syntax: Perspectives across languages and learners
- 2013-07-14The Semantics of Nominalizations across Languages and Frameworks (repost)
- 2012-07-12Chemical Engineering 6th Edition Volume 1 (Coulson & Richardson's) - Fluid Flow, Heat Transfer and Mass Transfer
- 2012-04-12Gender Across Languages: The Linguistic Representation of Women and Men (IMPACT: Studies in Language and Society - Removed
- 2012-04-10Gender Across Languages: The Linguistic Representation of Women and Men
- 2012-01-22Cognitive Linguistics Investigations: Across Languages, Fields And Philosophical Boundaries (Human Cognitive Processing) - June Luchjenbroers
- 2012-01-08Cognitive Linguistics Investigations: Across Languages, Fields And Philosophical Boundaries (Human Cognitive Processing) - June Luchjenbroers
- 2011-12-22Cognitive Linguistics Investigations: Across Languages, Fields And Philosophical Boundaries (Human Cognitive Processing) - June Luchjenbroers
- 2011-12-06Cognitive Linguistics Investigations: Across languages, fields and philosophical boundaries
- 2011-12-06Cognitive Linguistics Investigations - Across Languages, Fields And Philosophical Boundaries
- 2011-10-01Heat and Mass Transfer - Modeling and Simulation
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.