Posted on 2017-07-17, by everest555.
Gunnar Samuelsson, "Crucifixion in Antiquity: An Inquiry into the Background and Significance of the New Testament Terminology of Crucifixion"
2011 | ISBN: 3161506944 | English | 357 pages | PDF | 6.80 MB
Gunnar Samuelsson investigates the philological aspects of how ancient Greek, Latin, Hebrew, and Aramaic texts, including the New Testament, depict the practice of punishment by crucifixion. A survey of the ancient text material shows that there has been a too narrow a view of the "crucifixion" terminology. The various terms are not simply used in the sense of "crucify" and "cross," if by "crucifixion" one means the punishment that Jesus was subjected to according to the main Christian traditions. The terminology is used much more diversely. Almost none of it can be elucidated beyond verbs referring vaguely to some form(s) of suspension, and nouns referring to tools used in such suspension. As a result, most of the crucifixion accounts that scholars cite in the ancient literature have to be rejected, leaving only a few.
The New Testament is not spared from this terminological ambiguity. The accounts of the death of Jesus are strikingly sparse. Their chief contribution is usage of the unclear terminology in question. Over-interpretation, and probably even pure imagination, have afflicted nearly every dictionary that deals with the terms related to crucifixion as well as scholarly depictions of what happened on Calvary. The immense knowledge of the punishment of crucifixion in general, and the execution of Jesus in particular, cannot be supported by the studied texts.
- Ebooks list page : 31795
- 2017-09-18Greek Theatre between Antiquity and Independence A History of Reinvention from the Third Century BC to 1830
- 2017-09-12Socrates from Antiquity to the Enlightenment
- 2017-07-14Resurrection, Hell And The Afterlife Body And Soul In Antiquity, Judaism And Early Christianity (bib...
- 2017-06-17Wild Unknown Trial of Antiquity-HI2U
- 2017-06-14Resurrection, Hell And The Afterlife Body And Soul In Antiquity, Judaism And Early Christianity (bib...
- 2017-04-08[PDF] Tracing Childhood: Bioarchaeological Investigations of Early Lives in Antiquity (Bioarchaeological Interpretations of the Human Past: Local, Regional, and Global)
- 2017-04-08[PDF] Domestic Space in Classical Antiquity (Key Themes in Ancient History)
- 2017-04-07[PDF] The Idea of the Labyrinth: From Classical Antiquity Through the Middle Ages
- 2017-04-06[PDF] The Conquests of Alexander the Great (Key Conflicts of Classical Antiquity)
- 2017-04-05[PDF] Ruling the Later Roman Empire (Revealing Antiquity)
- 2017-03-10Classifying Christians Ethnography, Heresiology, and the Limits of Knowledge in Late Antiquity
- 2017-02-17[PDF] A World History of Tax Rebellions: An Encyclopedia of Tax Rebels, Revolts, and Riots from Antiquity to the Present
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Changing Bodies, Changing Meanings: Studies on the Human Body in Antiquity
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Ancient Medicine (Sciences of Antiquity Series)
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Sex in Antiquity: Exploring Gender and Sexuality in the Ancient World (Rewriting Antiquity)
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Time in Antiquity (Sciences of Antiquity Series)
- 2017-02-13[PDF] The Historians of Late Antiquity
- 2017-02-13[PDF] Ancient Mathematics (Sciences of Antiquity Series)
- 2017-02-13[PDF] Ancient Meteorology (Routledge Sciences of Antiquity Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.