Posted on 2017-07-07, by nobihai.
Dan Egan - The Death and Life of the Great Lakes 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON|9.4 MB Supplied.By: TEAM DiSTRiBUTiON Release.Date: 2017-07-03 Publish.Date: 2017 Publisher: W. W. Norton & Company Language: English Source: ePUB Source URL: tinyurl.com/t6wt3hc System: Retail Protection: Condom Disksize: 2 x 5.000 MB R E L E A S E I N F O A landmark work of science, history and reporting on the past, present and imperiled future of the Great Lakes. The Great Lakesâ€”Erie, Huron, Michigan, Ontario and Superiorâ€”hold 20 percent of the world's supply of surface fresh water and provide sustenance, work and recreation for tens of millions of Americans. But they are under threat as never before, and their problems are spreading across the continent. The Death and Life of the Great Lakes is prize-winning reporter Dan Egan's compulsively readable portrait of an ecological catastrophe happening right before our eyes, blending the epic story of the lakes with an examination of the perils they face and the ways we can restore and preserve them for generations to come. For thousands of years the pristine Great Lakes were separated from the Atlantic Ocean by the roaring Niagara Falls and from the Mississippi River basin by a "sub-continental divide." Beginning in the late 1800s, these barriers were circumvented to attract oceangoing freighters from the Atlantic and to allow Chicago's sewage to float out to the Mississippi. These were engineering marvels in their timeâ€”and the changes in Chicago arrested a deadly cycle of waterborne illnessesâ€”but they have had horrendous unforeseen consequences. Egan provides a chilling account of how sea lamprey, zebra and quagga mussels and other invaders have made their way into the lakes, decimating native species and largely destroying the age-old ecosystem. And because the lakes are no longer isolated, the invaders now threaten water intake pipes, hydroelectric dams and other infrastructure across the country. Egan also explores why outbreaks of toxic algae stemming from the overapplication of farm fertilizer have left massive biological "dead zones" that threaten the supply of fresh water. He examines fluctuations in the levels of the lakes caused by manmade climate change and overzealous dredging of shipping channels. And he reports on the chronic threats to siphon off Great Lakes water to slake drier regions of America or to be sold abroad. In an age when dire problems like the Flint water crisis or the California drought bring ever more attention to the indispensability of safe, clean, easily available water, The Death and the Life of the Great Lakes is a powerful paean to what is arguably our most precious resource, an urgent examination of what threatens it and a convincing call to arms about the relatively simple things we need to do to protect it.
- Ebooks list page : 31740
- 2017-05-06Dan Ackerman - The Tetris Effect 2016 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-05-06Ilan Pape - The Rise and Fall of a Palestinian Dynasty 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-08-11Rod Dreher - The Benedict Option 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-08-11Helen Rothberg - The Perfect Mix 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-08-11Laura Erickson Schroth - Youre in the Wrong Bathroom 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-08-11Daniel Mark Epstein - The Loyal Son 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-07-14David Enrich - The Spider Network 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-07-13Finn Murphy - The Long Haul 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-07-13David Enrich - The Spider Network 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-06-23Mayte Garcia - The Most Beautiful 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-06-22Jennifer Klinec - The Temporary Bride 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-06-22Philip Kitcher - The Seasons Alter 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-06-09Helena Kelly - Jane Austen the Secret Radical 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-05-28Dr Steven Gundry The Plant Paradox 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-05-25Rod Pyle - Amazing Stories of the Space Age 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-05-19Christopher de Bellaigue - The Islamic Enlightenment 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-05-14Lauren Smith Brody - The Fifth Trimester 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-05-06Patrick Kingsley - The New Odyssey 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- 2017-05-06Luke Arnce - The Scholarship Game 2017 RETAiL ePUB eBOOK-DiSTRiBUTiON
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.