Posted on 2018-05-13, by nokia241186.
David Teegarden, "Death to Tyrants!: Ancient Greek Democracy and the Struggle against Tyranny"
2013 | pages: 278 | ISBN: 0691156905 | PDF | 6,2 mb
Death to Tyrants! is the first comprehensive study of ancient Greek tyrant-killing legislation-laws that explicitly gave individuals incentives to "kill a tyrant." David Teegarden demonstrates that the ancient Greeks promulgated these laws to harness the dynamics of mass uprisings and preserve popular democratic rule in the face of anti-democratic threats. He presents detailed historical and sociopolitical analyses of each law and considers a variety of issues: What is the nature of an anti-democratic threat? How would various provisions of the laws help pro-democrats counter those threats? And did the laws work?
Teegarden argues that tyrant-killing legislation facilitated pro-democracy mobilization both by encouraging brave individuals to strike the first blow against a nondemocratic regime and by convincing others that it was safe to follow the tyrant killer's lead. Such legislation thus deterred anti-democrats from staging a coup by ensuring that they would be overwhelmed by their numerically superior opponents. Drawing on modern social science models, Teegarden looks at how the institution of public law affects the behavior of individuals and groups, thereby exploring the foundation of democracy's persistence in the ancient Greek world. He also provides the first English translation of the tyrant-killing laws from Eretria and Ilion.
By analyzing crucial ancient Greek tyrant-killing legislation, Death to Tyrants! explains how certain laws enabled citizens to draw on collective strength in order to defend and preserve their democracy in the face of motivated opposition.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36172
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Death to Tyrants!: Ancient Greek Democracy and the Struggle against Tyranny
- 2014-03-05Death to Tyrants!: Ancient Greek Democracy and the Struggle against Tyranny
- 2018-01-14[PDF] A Companion to Greek Democracy and the Roman Republic (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)
- 2017-10-23[PDF] Ancient Greek Psychology and the Modern Mind-Body Debate
- 2017-07-17A Companion To Greek Democracy And The Roman Republic
- 2016-12-24A Companion to Greek Democracy and the Roman Republic by Dean Hammer
- 2013-09-05Ancient Greek Psychology and the Modern Mind-Body Debate
- 2013-09-01Ancient Greek Psychology and the Modern Mind-Body Debate
- 2013-08-31Ancient Greek Psychology and the Modern Mind-Body Debate
- 2018-05-10The Unknown American Revolution The Unruly Birth of Democracy and the Struggle to Create America
- 2010-04-01Fighting for Democracy: Black Veterans and the Struggle Against White Supremacy in the Postwar South
- 2018-09-20Apostles of Revolution Jefferson, Paine, Monroe, and the Struggle Against the Old Order in America and Europe
- 2018-08-07Apostles of Revolution Jefferson, Paine, Monroe, and the Struggle Against the Old Order in America and Europe
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Seeing Through the Eyes of the Polish Revolution: Solidarity and the Struggle Against Communism in Poland (Historical Materialism)
- 2012-01-07Sir Ernest Shackleton and the Struggle Against Antarctica (Explorers of the New Worlds) - Hal Marcovitz
- 2011-12-30Sir Ernest Shackleton and the Struggle Against Antarctica (Explorers of the New Worlds) - Hal Marcovitz
- 2011-12-07Sir Ernest Shackleton and the Struggle Against Antarctica (Explorers of the New Worlds)
- 2010-09-09David H. Jackson Jr. - Booker T. Washington and the Struggle against White Supremacy
- 2010-08-08The 1812 Aponte Rebellion in Cuba and the Struggle against Atlantic Slavery (Envisioning Cuba)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.