Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2009-06-26. By anonymous.
Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA | ISBN: 0195178661 | edition 2006 | PDF | 352 pages | 1.54 mb
Why did the youthful optimism and openness of the sixties give way to Ronald Reagan and the spirit of conservative reaction--a spirit that remains ascendant today?
Drawing on a wide array of sources--including tabloid journalism, popular fiction, movies, and television shows--Philip Jenkins argues that a remarkable confluence of panics, scares, and a few genuine threats created a climate of fear that led to the conservative reaction. He identifies 1975 to 1986 as the watershed years. During this time, he says, there was a sharp increase in perceived threats to our security at home and abroad. At home, America seemed to be threatened by monstrous criminals--serial killers, child abusers, Satanic cults, and predatory drug dealers, to name just a few. On the international scene, we were confronted by the Soviet Union and its evil empire, by OPEC with its stranglehold on global oil, by the Ayatollahs who made hostages of our diplomats in Iran. Increasingly, these dangers began to be described in terms of moral evil. Rejecting the radicalism of the '60s, which many saw as the source of the crisis, Americans adopted a more pessimistic interpretation of human behavior, which harked back to much older themes in American culture. This simpler but darker vision ultimately brought us Ronald Reagan and the ascendancy of the political Right, which more than two decades later shows no sign of loosening its grip.
- Ebooks list page : 3058
- 2014-05-23Decade of Nightmares: The End of the Sixties and the Making of Eighties America
- 2018-12-13State and Nation Making in Latin America and Spain The Rise and Fall of the Developmental State
- 2018-11-06Agrarian Structure and Political Power Landlord and Peasant in the Making of Latin America
- 2018-10-30Railroaded The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America [Audiobook]
- 2018-07-18New World Coming The 1920s and the Making of Modern America [Audiobook]
- 2018-05-01The Burning House : Jim Crow and the Making of Modern America
- 2018-01-03[PDF] Impossible Subjects: Illegal Aliens and the Making of Modern America (Politics and Society in Twentieth-Century America)
- 2017-12-04[PDF] State and Nation Making in Latin America and Spain: Republics of the Possible
- 2017-12-01[PDF] Staking Claims to a Continent: John A. Macdonald, Abraham Lincoln, Jefferson Davis, and the Making of North America
- 2017-11-13[PDF] The Making of Asian America: A History
- 2017-10-13[PDF] The Making of Asian America: A History [Audiobook]
- 2013-07-30The Iron Way: Railroads, the Civil War, and the Making of Modern America
- 2011-11-09Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America
- 2011-11-08Richard White, "Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America"
- 2011-11-02Railroaded: The Transcontinentals and the Making of Modern America
- 2011-08-29The Making of Modern America: The Nation from 1945 to the Present
- 2010-12-18Jackson Lears - Rebirth of a Nation: The Making of Modern America, 1877-1920
- 2010-09-04The Making of Modern America: The Nation from 1945 to the Present
- 2009-12-18Rebirth of a Nation: The Making of Modern America, 1877-1920 (American History)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.