Posted on 2018-08-16, by nokia241186.
Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America by Beth Macy
English | August 7, 2018 | ISBN: 0316551244 | PDF | 384 pages | 10.2 MB
The only book to fully chart the devastating opioid crisis in America: "a harrowing, deeply compassionate dispatch from the heart of a national emergency" (New York Times) from a bestselling author and journalist who has lived through it
In this masterful work, Beth Macy takes us into the epicenter of America's twenty-plus year struggle with opioid addiction. From distressed small communities in Central Appalachia to wealthy suburbs; from disparate cities to once-idyllic farm towns; it's a heartbreaking trajectory that illustrates how this national crisis has persisted for so long and become so firmly entrenched.
Beginning with a single dealer who lands in a small Virginia town and sets about turning high school football stars into heroin overdose statistics, Macy endeavors to answer a grieving mother's question-why her only son died-and comes away with a harrowing story of greed and need. From the introduction of OxyContin in 1996, Macy parses how America embraced a medical culture where overtreatment with painkillers became the norm. In some of the same distressed communities featured in her bestselling book Factory Man, the unemployed use painkillers both to numb the pain of joblessness and pay their bills, while privileged teens trade pills in cul-de-sacs, and even high school standouts fall prey to prostitution, jail, and death.
Through unsparing, yet deeply human portraits of the families and first responders struggling to ameliorate this epidemic, each facet of the crisis comes into focus. In these politically fragmented times, Beth Macy shows, astonishingly, that the only thing that unites Americans across geographic and class lines is opioid drug abuse. But in a country unable to provide basic healthcare for all, Macy still finds reason to hope-and signs of the spirit and tenacity necessary in those facing addiction to build a better future for themselves and their families.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36965
- 2019-07-25$%(Great) - Why You Should Read Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America by Beth Macy Online or Download [*PDF *EPUB *MOBI]
- 2018-09-21Dopesick Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America by Beth Macy
- 2018-08-13Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors, and the Drug Company that Addicted America
- 2019-01-03Rising Star, Setting Sun Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, and the Presidential Transition that Changed America
- 2018-11-14A Blueprint for War FDR and the Hundred Days That Mobilized America
- 2018-09-27Rising Star, Setting Sun Dwight D. Eisenhower, John F. Kennedy, and the Presidential Transition that Changed America
- 2017-12-25[PDF] The Jamestown Experiment: The Remarkable Story of the Enterprising Colony and the Unexpected Results That Shaped America
- 2017-12-12[PDF] The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America
- 2014-02-10The Race Underground: Boston, New York, and the Incredible Rivalry That Built America's First Subway
- 2012-01-30The Jamestown Experiment: The Remarkable Story of the Enterprising Colony and the Unexpected Results That Shaped America
- 2011-07-04The Island at the Center of the World: The Epic Story of Dutch Manhattan and the Forgotten Colony That Shaped America
- 2009-08-05Hank Aaron and the Home Run That Changed America
- 2011-12-30Great Figures of the Old Testament : Parts 1 & 2, Includes 12 Audio CD's and 2 Course Guidebooks (The Great Courses : Religion) - Removed
- 2011-06-11Utopia and Terror in the 20th Century (Audiobook) - Removed
- 2012-03-16The Drug Effect: Health, Crime and Society
- 2012-06-06It Never Snows In September: The German View Of Market-Garden And The Battle of Arnhem September 1944
- 2012-02-18Food Marketing to Children and Youth: Threat or Opportunity? - Committee On Food Marketing And The Diets Of Children And Youth
- 2012-02-12Food Marketing to Children and Youth: Threat or Opportunity? - Committee On Food Marketing And The Diets Of Children And Youth
- 2012-01-10BioWatch and Public Health Surveillance: Evaluating Systems for the Early Detection of Biological Threats: Abbreviated Version - Committee On Effectiveness Of National Biosurveillance Systems: BioWatch And The Public Health Syste
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.