Posted on 2018-04-16, by nokia241186.
Double Vision: The Unerring Eye of Art World Avatars Dominique and John de Menil by William Middleton
English | March 26th, 2018 | ASIN: B073R1JXJ9, ISBN: 0375415432 | 784 Pages | EPUB | 398.74 MB
The first and definitive biography of the celebrated collectors Dominique and John de Menil, who became one of the greatest cultural forces of the twentieth century through groundbreaking exhibits of art, artistic scholarship, the creation of innovative galleries and museums, and work with civil rights.
Dominique and John de Menil created an oasis of culture in their Philip Johnson-designed house with everyone from Marlene Dietrich and Rene Magritte to Andy Warhol and Jasper Johns. In Houston, they built the Menil Collection, the Rothko Chapel, the Byzantine Fresco Chapel, the Cy Twombly Gallery, and underwrote the Contemporary Arts Museum.
Now, with unprecedented access to family archives, William Middleton has written a sweeping biography of this unique couple. From their ancestors in Normandy and Alsace, to their own early years in France, and their travels in South America before settling in Houston. We see them introduced to the artists in Europe and America whose works they would collect, and we see how, by the 1960s, their collection had grown to include 17,000 paintings, sculptures, drawings, photographs, rare books, and decorative objects.
And here is, as well, a vivid behind-the-scenes look at the art world of the twentieth century and the enormous influence the de Menils wielded through what they collected and built and through the causes they believed in.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36041
- 2012-05-12Battle Colors Volume III: Insignia and Tactical Markings Of The Ninth Air Force In World War Two
- 2011-09-20Russia and the Challenge of Fiscal Federalism (World Bank Regional and Sectoral Studies)
- 2018-07-08The Learned Eye Regarding Art, Theory, and the Artist's Reputation
- 2018-06-27Visions of the Human Art, World War I and the Modernist Subject
- 2018-05-10Visions of the Human: Art, World War I and the Modernist Subject
- 2011-07-18Russia and the Challenge of Fiscal Federalism (World Bank Regional and Sectoral Studies)
- 2009-02-23Marieke van den Doel, et al., «The Learned Eye: Regarding Art, Theory, and the Artist's Reputation» (Repost)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] The Twilight Warriors: The Deadliest Naval Battle of World War II and the Men Who Fought It [Audobook]
- 2017-12-19[PDF] The Mixed-Media Artist: Art Tips, Tricks, Secrets and Dreams from Over 40 Amazing Artists
- 2017-12-07[PDF] The Books that Shaped Art History: From Gombrich and Greenberg to Alpers and Krauss
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Left Side of History: World War II and the Unfulfilled Promise of Communism in Eastern Europe
- 2017-10-29[PDF] The Twilight Warriors: The Deadliest Naval Battle of World War II and the Men Who Fought It [Audobook]
- 2016-12-26The Flat Five - Its a World of Love and Hope (2016)
- 2014-06-09The Chinese Army 1937-49: World War II and Civil War (Men-at-Arms 424) (repost)
- 2013-10-01War And Revolution: The Hungarian Anarchist Movement In World War I And The Budapest Commune (1919)
- 2013-05-28The American Military Experience in World War II and Vietnam (Audiobook) By Professor Robert E. Morris
- 2013-05-27The American Military Experience in World War II and Vietnam (Audiobook) By Professor Robert E. Morris
- 2013-05-27The American Military Experience in World War II and Vietnam (Audiobook - TTC)
- 2013-05-26The American Military Experience in World War II and Vietnam
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.