Posted on 2013-10-18, by soc_arm7.
Driving Visions: Exploring the Road Movie
By David Laderman
2002 334 Pages | ISBN: 0292747322 , 0292747314 | PDF | 7 MB
In 1934, audiences swooned when reporter Clark Gable and heiress Claudette Colbert bickered and then fell in love on a cross-country bus trip in It Happened One Night, an early American road trip movie. Americas vast open spaces, colorful and varied locations, multicultural population, and love for cars, mobility, and speed make the road movie a peculiarly (though not exclusively) American fixture. This book is an academic study of American road movies as a "rebellion against conservative social norms" with "an embrace of the journey as a means of cultural critique." The emphasis here is on "outlaw" road movies. Laderman (film, Coll. of San Mateo) discusses literary sources and visions (On the Road), gay road movies (My Own Private Idaho), Native American films (Smoke Signals), and African American (Get on the Bus) and feminist road journeys. He dismisses most comedies, saying they fail to "incorporate any visionary rebellion." Indeed, the authors tone is humorless throughout. His complaint about "heavy-handed" irony in Raising Arizona, for instance, seems to be based on the fact that the irrepressible Coen brothers failed to follow his vision of what a road movie should be. There are some provocative ideas here, but Ladermans rigid approach causes the book to run out of gas. An optional purchase for large American film collections.
- Ebooks list page : 23498
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Driving Visions:Exploring the Road Movie
- 2013-10-14Driving Visions: Exploring the Road Movie (Repost)
- 2010-09-15Driving Visions: Exploring the Road Movie
- 2010-08-01Driving Visions: Exploring the Road Movie
- 2011-12-26The Road to Victory: From Pearl Harbor to Okinawa (Osprey General Military)
- 2013-07-13Steven Cohan, Ina Rae Hark, The Road Movie Book
- 2013-07-12Steven Cohan, Ina Rae Hark, The Road Movie Book
- 2013-07-07Steven Cohan, Ina Rae Hark, The Road Movie Book
- 2013-06-26Steven Cohan, Ina Rae Hark, "The Road Movie Book"
- 2009-04-16The Road Movie Book
- 2018-09-22Memories and Visions of Paradise Exploring the Universal Myth of a Lost Golden Age
- 2018-06-01The Latin American (Counter-) Road Movie and Ambivalent Modernity - Removed
- 2017-11-20[PDF] The Road to War: A Travel Guide for Exploring the Battlefields of Europe (France) (Volume 1)
- 2012-01-24The State of the Earth: Environmental Challenges on the Road to 2100 free ebook download
- 2011-08-10Technological Slavery (The Road to Revolution): The Collected Writings of Theodore "The Unabomber" Kaczynski
- 2011-08-07The Road to Kadesh: A Historical Interpretation of the Battle Reliefs of King Sety I at Karnak
- 2011-06-03The Road to Kadesh: A Historical Interpretation of the Battle Reliefs of King Sety I at Karnak (The Oriental Institute of the University of Chicago)
- 2019-08-10Exploring the Hidden Gems of Sysinternals Toolkit
- 2019-08-09Exploring the Pacific
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.