Egypt on the Pentateuch's Ideological Map: Constructing Biblical Israel's Identity (JSOT Supplement 361)
Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2010-07-17. By anonymous.
Publisher: Sheffield Academic Press | 2003 | ISBN 0826462111 | PDF | 325 pages | 10.7 MB
This book explores the references to Egypt in the Pentateuch -- twice as dense as in the rest of the Hebrew Bible -- in the context of the production of the text's final form during the Persian period. Here, as Greifenhagen shows, Egypt functions ideologically as the primary "other" over against which Israel's identity is constructed, while its role in Israel's formation appears as subsidiary and as a superseded stage in a master narrative which locates Israel's ethnic roots in Mesopotamia. But the presentation of this powerful neighbour is equivocal: a dominant anti-Egyptian stance coexists with alternative, though subordinate, pro-Egyptian views, suggesting that the Pentateuchal narrative was produced within a context of ideological conflict over attitudes towards a land that provided a home for Jewish fugitives and emigrants.
- Ebooks list page : 6531
- 2017-10-04[PDF] Culture and History of the Ancient Near East, History of Biblical Israel: Major Problems and Minor Issues (Studies in Semitic Languages and Linguistics,)
- 2010-02-19The Old Greek Psalter: Studies in Honour of Albert Pietersma (JSOT Supplement)
- 2010-01-27Studies in the Archaeology of the Iron Age in Israel and Jordan (Jsot Supplement Series)
- 2018-10-30Archaeology Hotspot Egypt Unearthing the Past for Armchair Archaeologists
- 2018-08-13The New Global Road Map
- 2018-08-13Archaeology Hotspot Egypt Unearthing the Past for Armchair Archaeologists
- 2018-07-15The New Global Road Map Enduring Strategies for Turbulent Times [Audiobook]
- 2018-06-23The Samaritan Version of Saadya Gaon's Translation of the Pentateuch
- 2018-05-31Arabic Versions of the Pentateuch A Comparative Study of Jewish, Christian, and Muslim Sources
- 2018-05-23The New Global Road Map: Enduring Strategies for Turbulent Times [Audiobook]
- 2018-04-22Egypt and the Contradictions of Liberalism Illiberal Intelligentsia and the Future of Egyptian Democracy
- 2018-03-20Napoleon's Egypt: Invading the Middle East
- 2018-02-10Moses and Minimalism: Form Criticism vs. Fiction in the Pentateuch
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Egypt in the Age of the Pyramids: Highlights From the Harvard University Museum of Fine Arts, Boston, Expedition
- 2018-01-29[PDF] The Rhetorical Nature of XML: Constructing Knowledge in Networked Environments
- 2018-01-14[PDF] Big Business, the State, and Free Trade: Constructing Coalitions in Mexico
- 2017-12-25[PDF] Magic Tales and Fairy Tale Magic: From Ancient Egypt to the Italian Renaissance
- 2017-12-20[PDF] The Egyptian Revival: Ancient Egypt as the Inspiration for Design Motifs in the West
- 2017-12-05[PDF] The Changing World Religion Map: Sacred Places, Identities, Practices and Politics
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.