Posted on 2011-10-20. By anonymous.
Columbia University Press | 2010-06-24 | ISBN: 0231130805, 0231130813 | 272 pages | PDF | 5,4 MB
"Like a craftsman who recognizes that a particular raw material will be best handled by a custom-made tool, Kristen H. Lindbeck considers the strengths and weaknesses of various existing methods to cobble together her own approach to handling the diverse Elijah texts of the Bavli. In doing so, she is able to accomplish more, more satisfactorily, than previous studies." ---Christine Hayes, Yale University
Through An Innovative synthesis of narrative critique, oral-formulaic study, folkloric research, and literary analysis, Kristen H. Lindbeck reads all the Elijah narratives in the Babylonian Talmud and details the rise of a distinct, quasi-angelic figure who takes pleasure in ordinary interaction.
During the Talmudic period of 50-500 c.e., Elijah developed into a recognizable character quite different from the Elijah of the Bible. The Elijah of the Talmud dispenses wisdom, advice, and, like the Elijah of Jewish folklore, helps people directly, even with material gifts. Lindbeck highlights particular features of the Elijah stories, allowing them to be grouped into generic categories and considered alongside Rabbinic literary motifs and non-Jewish traditions of late antiquity. She compares Elijah in the Babylonian Talmud to a range of characters---angels, rabbis, wonder-workers, the angel of death, Christian saints, and even the Greek god Hermes. She concludes with a survey of Elijah's diverse roles from medieval times to today, throwing into brilliant relief the complex relationship between ancient Elijah traditions and later folktales and liturgy that show Elijah bringing benefits and blessings, appearing at circumcisions and Passover, and visiting households after the Sabbath.
Enjoy this great book! Brought to you by SMIRK
My AH blog!
!!! No mirrors please !!!
- Ebooks list page : 14606
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Elijah and the Rabbis: Story and Theology
- 2012-02-19Elijah and the Rabbis: Story and Theology - Kristen Lindbeck
- 2011-11-06Elijah and the Rabbis: Story and Theology
- 2011-10-26Kristen Lindbeck, "Elijah and the Rabbis: Story and Theology"
- 2011-11-28How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's ... Our World and Everything in It
- 2011-08-23How the Scots Invented the Modern World: The True Story of How Western Europe's ... Our World and Everything in It
- 2011-12-04No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II (Osprey General Military) - No Greater Ally, The Untold Story, World War, Osprey General Military
- 2011-11-17No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II (Osprey General Military)
- 2011-10-13Fortune's Formula: The Untold Story of the Scientific Betting System That Beat the Casinos and Wall Street
- 2010-09-23[request]Fortune\'s Formula: The Untold Story of the Scientific Betting System That Beat the Casinos and Wall Street
- 2017-11-15[PDF] The Victorian Ghost Story and Theology: From Le Fanu to James
- 2019-01-15Breaking and Entering The Extraordinary Story of a Hacker Called Alien
- 2019-01-15Breaking and Entering The Extraordinary Story of a Hacker CalledAlien [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-15Darker Than Night The True Story of a Brutal Double Homicide and an 18-Year Long Quest for Justic
- 2019-01-15Alone The True Story of the Man Who Fought the Sharks, Waves, and Weather of the Pacific and Won
- 2019-01-15The Man Who Couldn't Stop OCD and the True Story of a Life Lost in Thought [Audiobook]
- 2019-01-15Chris & Nancy The True Story of the Benoit Murder-Suicide and Pro Wrestling's Cocktail of Death
- 2019-01-14The Impossible The Miraculous Story of a Mother's Faith and Her Child's Resurrection
- 2019-01-12Stern Justice The Forgotten Story of Australia, Japan and the Pacific War Crimes Trials
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.