Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2010-05-24. By anonymous.
Cambridge University Press | 2008 | ISBN: 0521052025, 0521450845 | 292 pages | PDF | 23,4 MB
Fortress-Churches of Languedoc traces the changing relationship between military and religious realms as expressed in architecture across medieval Europe. The scholarship of medieval architecture has traditionally imposed a division between military and ecclesiastical structures. Often, however, medieval churches were provided with fortified enclosures, crenellations, iron-barred doors and other elements of defence, demonstrating the strong link between Church and state, and the military and religious realms. In her study of fortress-churches, Sheila Bonde focuses on three twelfth-century monuments in southern France - Maguelone, Agde and Saint-Pon-de-Thomière, which are among the earliest examples of the type. She analyses her archaeological surveys of these structures, and also re-examines their documentation, which is here presented both in the original Latin and in English translations. The book also explores the larger context of fortification and authority in twelfth-century Languedoc and examines the dynamics of architectural exchange and innovation in the Mediterranean at a moment of critical historical importance.
• First book to deal exclusively with fortified churches and to deal with them in the context of the relationship between religious and military realms • Contains original texts and new translations of Latin documents relating to the construction and history of the structures discussed • Author is both a professor of art history and an archaeologist co-director of a dig at Soissons for the past ten years
List of illustrations; Acknowledgements; Introduction; 1. Ecclesiastical fortification in the Middle Ages; 2. The larger context: Languedoc in the twelfth century; 3. The buildings and the documents: Maguelone, Agde and Saint-Pons-de-Thomières; 4. The manning and operation of fortress-churches; 5. The architectural context: sources and parallels; Conclusion; Appendixes; Tables; Abbreviations; Notes; Illustration credits; Index.
In order not to miss many of them follow ebooks section (see top of each page on AH)
and visit my blog too :)
Download Link 2
- Ebooks list page : 5876
- 2010-03-02Warriors and Churchmen in the High Middle Ages: Essays Presented to Karl Leyser
- 2009-01-13Glamorous Sorcery: Magic and Literacy in the High Middle Ages
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Disability in Medieval Europe: Thinking about Physical Impairment in the High Middle Ages, c.1100-c.1400 (Routledge Studies in Medieval Religion and Culture)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] Battling Demons: Witchcraft, Heresy, and Reform in the Late Middle Ages (Magic in History)
- 2017-01-12[PDF] Communal Discord, Child Abduction, and Rape in the Later Middle Ages (New Middle Ages)
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Creating Augustine: Interpreting Augustine and Augustinianism in the Later Middle Ages
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Castles in Medieval Society: Fortresses in England, France, and Ireland in the Central Middle Ages
- 2014-06-10From the Circle of Alcuin to the School of Auxerre: Logic, Theology and Philosophy in the Early Middle Ages
- 2014-06-09From the Circle of Alcuin to the School of Auxerre: Logic, Theology and Philosophy in the Early Middle Ages
- 2014-04-01Political Women in the High Middle Ages: Berenguela of Castile and Her Family (repost)
- 2014-01-15Witchcraft and Magic in the Nordic Middle Ages
- 2014-01-03Witchcraft and Magic in the Nordic Middle Ages
- 2013-08-23Law, Marriage, and Society in the Later Middle Ages: Arguments about Marriage in Five Courts (Repost)
- 2013-07-09Unpredictability and Presence: Norwegian Kingship in the High Middle Ages (The Northern World) (repost)
- 2012-12-30Philosophy and Theology in the Long Middle Ages [Repost]
- 2012-03-20From the Circle of Alcuin to the School of Auxerre: Logic, Theology and Philosophy in the Early Middle Ages
- 2012-01-21Philosophy and Theology in the Long Middle Ages (Studien Und Texte Zur Geistesgeschichte Des Mittelalters) - Andreas Speer Edited By Kent Emery
- 2012-01-15Philosophy and Theology in the Long Middle Ages (Studien Und Texte Zur Geistesgeschichte Des Mittelalters) - Andreas Speer Edited By Kent Emery
- 2011-12-31Castles in Medieval Society: Fortresses in England, France, and Ireland in the Central Middle Ages - Charles Coulson
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.