Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2010-05-24. By anonymous.
Cambridge University Press | 2008 | ISBN: 0521052025, 0521450845 | 292 pages | PDF | 23,4 MB
Fortress-Churches of Languedoc traces the changing relationship between military and religious realms as expressed in architecture across medieval Europe. The scholarship of medieval architecture has traditionally imposed a division between military and ecclesiastical structures. Often, however, medieval churches were provided with fortified enclosures, crenellations, iron-barred doors and other elements of defence, demonstrating the strong link between Church and state, and the military and religious realms. In her study of fortress-churches, Sheila Bonde focuses on three twelfth-century monuments in southern France - Maguelone, Agde and Saint-Pon-de-ThomiÃ¨re, which are among the earliest examples of the type. She analyses her archaeological surveys of these structures, and also re-examines their documentation, which is here presented both in the original Latin and in English translations. The book also explores the larger context of fortification and authority in twelfth-century Languedoc and examines the dynamics of architectural exchange and innovation in the Mediterranean at a moment of critical historical importance.
â€¢ First book to deal exclusively with fortified churches and to deal with them in the context of the relationship between religious and military realms â€¢ Contains original texts and new translations of Latin documents relating to the construction and history of the structures discussed â€¢ Author is both a professor of art history and an archaeologist co-director of a dig at Soissons for the past ten years
List of illustrations; Acknowledgements; Introduction; 1. Ecclesiastical fortification in the Middle Ages; 2. The larger context: Languedoc in the twelfth century; 3. The buildings and the documents: Maguelone, Agde and Saint-Pons-de-ThomiÃ¨res; 4. The manning and operation of fortress-churches; 5. The architectural context: sources and parallels; Conclusion; Appendixes; Tables; Abbreviations; Notes; Illustration credits; Index.
In order not to miss many of them follow ebooks section (see top of each page on AH)
and visit my blog too :)
- Ebooks list page : 5876
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Fortress-Churches of Languedoc: Architecture, Religion and Conflict in the High Middle Ages
- 2018-10-14From England to France Felony and Exile in the High Middle Ages
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Glamorous Sorcery: Magic and Literacy in the High Middle Ages (Medieval Cultures)
- 2010-03-02Warriors and Churchmen in the High Middle Ages: Essays Presented to Karl Leyser
- 2009-01-13Glamorous Sorcery: Magic and Literacy in the High Middle Ages
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Medieval Religion and its Anxieties: History and Mystery in the Other Middle Ages (The New Middle Ages)
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Disability in Medieval Europe: Thinking about Physical Impairment in the High Middle Ages, c.1100-c.1400 (Routledge Studies in Medieval Religion and Culture)
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Disability in Medieval Europe: Thinking about Physical Impairment in the High Middle Ages, c.1100-c.1400 (Routledge Studies in Medieval Religion and Culture)
- 2019-01-15Language and Power in the Early Middle Ages
- 2019-01-10Language and Power in the Early Middle Ages
- 2018-12-21Language and Power in the Early Middle Ages
- 2018-01-07[PDF] Law, Marriage, and Society in the Later Middle Ages: Arguments about Marriage in Five Courts
- 2018-01-04[PDF] Thomas Aquinas and John Duns Scotus: Natural Theology in the High Middle Ages (Continuum Studies in Philosophy)
- 2018-01-01[PDF] England and Iberia in the Middle Ages, 12th-15th Century: Cultural, Literary, and Political Exchanges (The New Middle Ages) - Removed
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Communal Discord, Child Abduction, and Rape in the Later Middle Ages (New Middle Ages) - Removed
- 2017-11-30[PDF] The King and the Whore: King Roderick and La Cava (The New Middle Ages) - Removed
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Pedagogy, Intellectuals, and Dissent in the Later Middle Ages: Lollardy and Ideas of Learning (Cambridge Studies in Medieval Literature)
- 2017-11-23[PDF] The Tibetan Empire in Central Asia: A History of the Struggle for Great Power Among Tibetans, Turks, Arabs, and Chinese During the Early Middle Ages
- 2017-11-07[PDF] Creating Augustine: Interpreting Augustine and Augustinianism in the Later Middle Ages
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.