Posted on 2009-02-07. By anonymous.
The Way of the Cell: Molecules, Organisms, and the Order of Life
Oxford University Press, USA | 2001-06-21 | ISBN: 0195135121 | PDF | Pages 320 | 4.35 MB
What is life? Fifty years after physicist Erwin Schrodinger posed this question in his celebrated and inspiring book, the answer remains elusive. In The Way of the Cell, one of the world's most respected microbiologists draws on his wide knowledge of contemporary science to provide fresh insight into this intriguing and all-important question.
What is the relationship of living things to the inanimate realm of chemistry and physics? How do lifeless but special chemicals come together to form those intricate dynamic ensembles that we recognize as life? To shed light on these questions, Franklin Harold focuses here on microorganisms--in particular, the supremely well-researched bacterium E. coli--because the cell is the simplest level of organization that manifests all the features of the phenomenon of life. Harold shows that as simple as they appear when compared to ourselves, every cell displays a dynamic pattern in space and time, orders of magnitude richer than its elements. It integrates the writhings and couplings of billions of molecules into a coherent whole, draws matter and energy into itself, constructs and reproduces its own order, and persists in this manner for numberless generations while continuously adapting to a changing world.
A cell constitutes a unitary whole, a unit of life, and in this volume one of the leading authorities on the cell gives us a vivid picture of what goes on within this minute precinct. The result is a richly detailed, meticulously crafted account of what modern science can tell us about life as well as one scientist's personal attempt to wring understanding from the tide of knowledge.
- Ebooks list page : 2283
- 2012-01-24Harold: The Last Anglo-Saxon King free ebook download
- 2010-04-05The Way of the Cell: Molecules, Organisms, and the Order of Life
- 2019-01-30Metallomics and the Cell
- 2019-01-30Genome Organization And Function In The Cell Nucleus
- 2019-01-30Elastic Filaments of the Cell
- 2019-01-30Calcium and Calmodulin Function in the Cell Nucleus
- 2019-01-30Bioinformatics and the Cell Modern Computational Approaches in Genomics, Proteomics and Transcrip...
- 2019-01-24Metallomics and the Cell
- 2018-11-27Electron Tomography Methods for Three-Dimensional Visualization of Structures in the Cell
- 2018-11-12The Classroom and the Cell Conversations on Black Life in America
- 2018-11-10The Cell A Visual Tour of the Building Block of Life
- 2018-11-03Toward the Future The New Challenges of the Cell Therapy and Potential of Regenerative Medicine
- 2018-10-30Igniting the leader within the leadership legacy of Ben Franklin, father of the American fire servi...
- 2018-08-16Reactivation of the Cell Cycle in Terminally Differentiated Cells
- 2018-07-14Membrane Organization and Lipid Rafts in the Cell and Artificial Membranes
- 2018-06-01Nanoscale Biophysics of the Cell
- 2018-04-17The Cell Language Theory
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Molecular Biology of the Cell 6E - The Problems Book
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Biophysics for Beginners: A Journey through the Cell Nucleus
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.