Posted on 2009-02-07. By anonymous.
The Way of the Cell: Molecules, Organisms, and the Order of Life
Oxford University Press, USA | 2001-06-21 | ISBN: 0195135121 | PDF | Pages 320 | 4.35 MB
What is life? Fifty years after physicist Erwin Schrodinger posed this question in his celebrated and inspiring book, the answer remains elusive. In The Way of the Cell, one of the world's most respected microbiologists draws on his wide knowledge of contemporary science to provide fresh insight into this intriguing and all-important question.
What is the relationship of living things to the inanimate realm of chemistry and physics? How do lifeless but special chemicals come together to form those intricate dynamic ensembles that we recognize as life? To shed light on these questions, Franklin Harold focuses here on microorganisms--in particular, the supremely well-researched bacterium E. coli--because the cell is the simplest level of organization that manifests all the features of the phenomenon of life. Harold shows that as simple as they appear when compared to ourselves, every cell displays a dynamic pattern in space and time, orders of magnitude richer than its elements. It integrates the writhings and couplings of billions of molecules into a coherent whole, draws matter and energy into itself, constructs and reproduces its own order, and persists in this manner for numberless generations while continuously adapting to a changing world.
A cell constitutes a unitary whole, a unit of life, and in this volume one of the leading authorities on the cell gives us a vivid picture of what goes on within this minute precinct. The result is a richly detailed, meticulously crafted account of what modern science can tell us about life as well as one scientist's personal attempt to wring understanding from the tide of knowledge.
- Ebooks list page : 2283
- 2012-01-24Harold: The Last Anglo-Saxon King free ebook download
- 2010-04-05The Way of the Cell: Molecules, Organisms, and the Order of Life
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Programming the Cell Processor: For Games, Graphics, and Computation
- 2017-12-11[PDF] Harold: The Last Anglo-Saxon King
- 2017-12-06[PDF] Becker's World of the Cell (8th Edition)
- 2017-12-04[PDF] The Cell Cycle: Principles of Control (Primers in Biology) (Primers in Biology)
- 2017-11-30[PDF] Metallomics and the Cell (Metal Ions in Life Sciences)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] Molecular Machines in Biology: Workshop of the Cell
- 2017-11-17[PDF] The Cell Biology of Cyanobacteria
- 2017-11-16[PDF] Mathematical Models of the Cell and Cell Associated Objects, Volume 206 (Mathematics in Science and Engineering)
- 2017-11-13[PDF] Mechanics of the Cell
- 2017-11-11[PDF] Water and the Cell
- 2017-11-08[PDF] The Cell Method: A Purely Algebraic Computational Method in Physics and Engineering
- 2017-11-04[PDF] Inside the Cell: The Dark Side of Forensic DNA
- 2017-11-02[PDF] The Cell: A Visual Tour of the Building Block of Life
- 2017-10-29[Share-2017] Bioinformatics and the Cell - X. Xia (Springer, 2007)
- 2017-10-29[Share-2017] Becker's World of the Cell 8th ed. - J. Hardin, et al., (Pearson, 2012)
- 2017-10-25[PDF] Formation and Cooperative Behaviour of Protein Complexes on the Cell Membrane (Springer Theses)
- 2017-10-16[PDF] Slum Health: From the Cell to the Street
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.