Posted on 2013-09-27, by pherick.
Frozen Earth - The Once and Future Story of Ice Ages
2013 | ISBN: 0520275926 | 280 pages | EPUB | 6 MB
In this engrossing and accessible book, Doug Macdougall explores the causes and effects of ice ages that have gripped our planet throughout its history, from the earliest known glaciation - nearly three billion years ago - to the present. Following the development of scientific ideas about these dramatic events, Macdougall traces the lives of many of the brilliant and intriguing characters who have contributed to the evolving understanding of how ice ages come about.
As it explains how the great Pleistocene Ice Age has shaped the earth's landscape and influenced the course of human evolution, "Frozen Earth" also provides a fascinating look at how science is done, how the excitement of discovery drives scientists to explore and investigate, and how timing and chance play a part in the acceptance of new scientific ideas. Macdougall describes the awesome power of cataclysmic floods that marked the melting of the glaciers of the Pleistocene Ice Age. He probes the chilling evidence for "Snowball Earth," an episode far back in the earth's past that may have seen our planet encased in ice from pole to pole. He discusses the accumulating evidence from deep-sea sediment cores, as well as ice cores from Greenland and the Antarctic, that suggests fast-changing ice age climates may have directly impacted the evolution of our species and the course of human migration and civilization. "Frozen Earth" also chronicles how the concept of the ice age has gripped the imagination of scientists for almost two centuries. It offers an absorbing consideration of how current studies of Pleistocene climate may help us understand earth's future climate changes, including the question of when the next glacial interval will occur.
- Ebooks list page : 23330
- 2013-09-22Frozen Earth: The Once and Future Story of Ice Ages
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Once and Future Giants: What Ice Age Extinctions Tell Us About the Fate of Earth's Largest Animals
- 2017-01-10[PDF] Once and Future Giants: What Ice Age Extinctions Tell Us About the Fate of Earth's Largest Animals
- 2012-01-22Once and Future Giants: What Ice Age Extinctions Tell Us About the Fate of Earth's Largest Animals
- 2018-11-01Perspectives on the Restoration of the Mississippi Delta The Once and Future Delta
- 2018-08-11Perspectives on the Restoration of the Mississippi Delta The Once and Future Delta
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Russia: The Once and Future Empire From Pre-History to Putin
- 2018-01-18[PDF] The Once and Future Turing: Computing the World
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Gold: The Once and Future Money
- 2017-12-28[PDF] The Once and Future King: The Rise of Crown Government in America
- 2017-12-15[PDF] The Once and Future Great Lakes Country: An Ecological History (Mcgill-Queen's Rural, Wildland, and Resouces Studies)
- 2017-12-09[PDF] The Once and Future Spy
- 2017-12-03[PDF] Finding Arthur: The True Origins of the Once and Future King
- 2017-10-23[PDF] The Once and Future Ocean: Notes Toward a New Hydraulic Society
- 2017-09-18The Once and Future Forest A Guide to Forest Restoration Strategies
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The Once and Future Spy
- 2014-06-03The Once and Future King: The Rise of Crown Government in America
- 2014-03-29Russia: The Once and Future Empire From Pre-History to Putin (repost)
- 2014-03-29The Once and Future World: Nature As It Was, As It Is, As It Could Be
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.