Posted on 2007-09-03, updated at 2008-03-07. By anonymous.
Genetics: A Conceptual Approach
Publisher: W. H. Freeman
Number Of Pages: 736
Publication Date: 2002-12-20
Sales Rank: 47502
ISBN / ASIN: 1572591609
Manufacturer: W. H. Freeman
Studio: W. H. Freeman
Average Rating: 4.5
Very good book
I don't have biology background but this book helps me learn a lot. The author presents concepts in a simple and clear manner.
Amazing Intro Book on Genetics
This book provides a wonderful and comprehensive introduction to genetics. I'm not a biology major, but I found that this book is both entertaining and informative. The author describes a wide panoramic view on the genetics, and yet addresses the fundamental concepts in genetics in very clear manner. DNA structure, replication, transcription to RNA, RNA processing, and RNA translation (a.k.a. the central dogma) have been very hard to comprehend and visualize, yet the author explains it very well. Numerous detailed illustrations in the book really helps to clarify the central dogma.
All chapters start with VERY compelling REAL-WORLD cases that tantalizes you on learning the subject presented in the chapter. That makes me wanting to read for more. The writing is concise and clear. The author clearly knows his stuff.
Overall, it is a great intro book. Great for both self-learners and in-class students. Definitely a must buy for those who want to get acquainted in genetics.
For in depth contents: The book seems to be divided into four parts.
1. It starts with principles of classical (Mendelian) genetics with its applications on chapter 1. Then it goes into cell structures, functions, and reproduction with chapter 2-4. Followed by heredity principles of reproduction and how classical genetics fit into the analysis of hereditary traits. The next chapter discusses how classical genetics is not enough -- the author presents compelling cases like lethal alleles, incomplete penetration, and so forth in chapter 5-6. This limitation brings forth extensions and modifications on the basic principles, which is also discussed. The author also discusses other analyses to detect hereditary traits, such as pedigree analysis.
2. The second part is more toward modern genetics: How genes are not independently assorted as the Mendelian principles dictates. The concept of linkage, recombination, and consequently gene mapping are discussed in chapter 7. Followed by Chapter 8 is sort of intermezzo on bacterial and viral genetic systems.
3. The third part is the meat of the book:
Chapter 9 discusses what chromosomes are and how chromosomes abnormalities occur and what type of abnormalities.
Chapter 10 discusses about DNA and RNA structure, followed by chromosome structure in chapter 11.
Chapter 12 discusses DNA replication and recombination with detailed illustrations.
Chapter 13 discusses transcription process, followed by chapter 14 on RNA molecules and processing.
Chapter 15 discusses about genetic code and translation, followed by chapter 16: Gene expression.
Chapter 17 discusses gene mutations and DNA repair.
4. The fourth part is "elective" part:
Chapter 18: Recombinant DNA technolocy
Chapter 19: Genomics (Structural, Functional, and Comparative)
Chapter 20: Organelle DNA
Chapter 21: Various advanced topics
Chapter 22: Quantitative Genetics (very basic single locus regression as an intro)
Chapter 23: Population and Evolutionary Genetics
- Ebooks list page : 1243
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Genetics: A Conceptual Approach (4th edition)
- 2017-10-18[PDF] Genetics: A Conceptual Approach (W. H. Freeman, 2002)
- 2014-06-13Genetics: A Conceptual Approach, 4 edition - Removed
- 2013-03-18DOWNLOAD Genetics: A Conceptual Approach 4th Edition by Benjamin A. Pierce - Removed
- 2013-01-04Genetics: A Conceptual Approach (4th edition) [Repost] - Removed
- 2012-09-21Download Genetics A Conceptual Approach by Benjamin A. Pierce - Removed
- 2012-09-21Free Download Genetics: A Conceptual Approach 4th Edition by Benjamin A. Pierce (PDF) RapidShare - Removed
- 2012-09-21â€‹Download Genetics: A Conceptual Approach 3rd Edition by Benjamin Pierce (PDF) RapidShare - Removed
- 2012-09-21DOWNLOAD Genetics: A Conceptual Approach 4th Edition by Benjamin A. Pierce (PDF) - Removed
- 2012-09-12Genetics: A Conceptual Approach, 4th Edition (repost) - Removed
- 2012-06-01Genetics: A Conceptual Approach (2nd Edition) (repost) - Removed
- 2012-04-10Benjamin Pierce, "Genetics: A Conceptual Approach"
- 2012-04-08Benjamin Pierce, "Genetics: A Conceptual Approach" (repost)
- 2012-02-25"Genetics: A Conceptual Approach" by Benjamin A. Pierce (Repost) - Removed
- 2011-09-30Genetics: A Conceptual Approach (Second Edition)
- 2011-09-28Benjamin Pierce, "Genetics: A Conceptual Approach, 4th Edition - Removed
- 2011-09-25Genetics: A Conceptual Approach (4th Edition - Removed
- 2011-09-24Genetics: A Conceptual Approach, 4th Edition free ebook download - Removed
- 2011-09-23Genetics: A Conceptual Approach (4th Edition) - Removed
- 2011-09-23Genetics: A Conceptual Approach, 4th Edition - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.