Posted on 2013-12-26. By anonymous.
English | 2012 | 328 Pages | ISBN: 1107012112 | PDF | 3 MB
This book examines the impact of the Roman cultural revolution under Augustus on the Roman province of Greece. It argues that the transformation of Roman Greece into a classicizing 'museum' was a specific response of the provincial Greek elites to the cultural politics of the Roman imperial monarchy. Against a background of Roman debates about Greek culture and Roman decadence, Augustus promoted the ideal of a Roman debt to a 'classical' Greece rooted in Europe and morally opposed to a stereotyped Asia. In Greece the regime signalled its admiration for Athens, Sparta, Olympia and Plataea as symbols of these past Greek glories. Cued by the Augustan monarchy, provincial-Greek notables expressed their Roman orientation by competitive cultural work (revival of ritual; restoration of buildings) aimed at further emphasising Greece's 'classical' legacy. Reprised by Hadrian, the Augustan construction of 'classical' Greece helped to promote the archaism typifying Greek culture under the principate.
- Ebooks list page : 24336
- 2012-02-17Greece and the Augustan Cultural Revolution (Greek Culture in the Roman World)
- 2013-12-27The Black Jacobins: Toussaint L'ouverture and the San Domingo Revolution (repost)
- 2013-06-01Franklin D. Roosevelt and the Third American Revolution [Repost]
- 2013-05-29The Domus Aurea and the Roman Architectural Revolution (repost)
- 2012-08-25Energy and the English Industrial Revolution (repost)
- 2014-06-12Rome, the Greek World, and the East: Volume 1: The Roman Republic and the Augustan Revolution (repost)
- 2011-06-28Rome the Greek World, and the East: Volume 1: The Roman Republic and the Augustan Revolution - Removed
- 2017-01-09[PDF] The Sixties: Cultural Revolution in Britain, France, Italy, and the United States, c.1958-c.1974
- 2014-05-29Crescendo of the Virtuoso: Spectacle, Skill, and Self-Promotion in Paris during the Age of Revolution (repost)
- 2014-05-08Urban Agriculture: Ideas and Designs for the New Food Revolution (Repost)
- 2014-05-03Why Work Sucks and How to Fix It: The Results-Only Revolution (repost)
- 2014-03-30Climate and Catastrophe in Cuba and the Atlantic World in the Age of Revolution [Repost]
- 2014-03-22The French Revolution and the Rise of Napoleon (repost)
- 2014-03-16Crusader Castles in Cyprus, Greece and the Aegean 1191-1571 (Osprey Fortress 59) (repost)
- 2013-12-22EPC and 4G Packet Networks, Second Edition: Driving the Mobile Broadband Revolution (repost)
- 2013-08-14John Boardman, Jasper Griffin, The Oxford History of the Classical World: Greece and the Hellenistic World (Repost)
- 2013-07-15Art in Turmoil: The Chinese Cultural Revolution, 1966-76 (Repost)
- 2013-06-08Childhood and Child Labour in the British Industrial Revolution (repost)
- 2013-03-17The Sixties: Cultural Revolution in Britain, France, Italy, and the United States, c.1958-c.1974
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.