Posted on 2018-12-21, updated at 2019-01-15, by voska89.
In War and Peace: My Life in Science and Technology by Guy Stever
English | 2002-11-15 | ISBN: 0309084113 | PDF | 385 pages | 14 MB
Science came into Guy Stever's life as a pure and peaceful pursuit. It was only later, as he walked through the wreckage of wartime London that he began to see science as central to a desperate struggle to survive.
Past president of Carnegie Mellon University, former Chief Scientist of the U.S. Air Force, one-time Director of the National Science Foundation, professor at MIT for 20 years, member of the National Academies of Sciences and Engineering, and science advisor to two presidents...Guy Stever was a central figure in twentieth century science-consistently on the front lines, changing the fate of a nation.
In this thoughtful and candid memoir, Stever recounts an extraordinary life that reveals as much about the man as about the major scientific and technological events of his day. Born of humble origins and orphaned at an early age, Stever journeyed from a small town in New York to work alongside British comrades who were developing and refining the critical radar technology that was to turn the tide of the war against the Germans. As a technical intelligence officer, these harrowing wartime years took him from the beachheads of Normandy to the German slave-labor factories responsible for building the V-2 rockets.
Stever returned home committed to serving his country. He became intimately involved in America's nascent guided missile program-and was to remain a key player in the anti-ballistic missile defense program that heralded the era of the Cold War. As the decades passed, Stever continued to exert lasting influence on countless scientific endeavors. He was instrumental in the formation of new institutions, from the creation of NASA in the post-Sputnik years to the merging of Carnegie Tech and the Mellon Institution, giving birth to Carnegie Mellon University. As Presidential Science Advisor to both Nixon and Ford, Stever shaped the very structure of contemporary presidential science advising. And he was to chair the oversight committee that redesigned the space shuttle boosters after the Challenger explosion.
Guy Stever's life offers remarkable insight into the twentieth century. Through his eyes, we relive the history of the past 50 years, witnesses to a tale of science and technology that is revealing in its scope and sweep.
Buy Premium From My Links To Get Resumable Support,Max Speed & Support Me
Download ( Rapidgator )
Download ( NitroFlare )
- Ebooks list page : 38262
- 2019-01-15In War and Peace My Life in Science and Technology
- 2019-01-10In War and Peace My Life in Science and Technology
- 2014-05-20In War and Peace: My Life in Science and Technology [Repost]
- 2012-03-24In War and Peace: My Life in Science and Technology [Repost]
- 2010-08-14In War and Peace: My Life in Science and Technology
- 2011-10-08An Assessment of Naval Hydromechanics Science and Technology (Compass Series)
- 2011-10-04Science and Technology for Army Homeland Security: Report 1
- 2011-09-16Gulf War and Health: Volume 2. Insecticides and Solvents
- 2011-09-11Basic Research in Information Science and Technology for Air Force Needs
- 2011-09-08Science and Technology in Kazakhstan: Current Status and Future Prospects
- 2011-09-01The Fundamental Role of Science and Technology in International Development
- 2011-07-16Science and Technology and the Future Development of Societies: International Workshop Proceedings
- 2011-07-12Gulf War and Health: Volume 2. Insecticides and Solvents
- 2011-06-03Science and Technology for Army Homeland Security: Report 1
- 2012-04-27[request]Sea Clutter: Scattering, the K-Distribution and Radar Performance - Removed
- 2012-02-15ASME Steam Tables: Compact Edition (Crtd) - ASME Research And Technology Committee On Water And Steam In Thermal Systems Subcommittee On Propert
- 2012-01-24Future R&D Environments: A Report for the National Institute of Standards and Technology
- 2012-01-03ASME Steam Tables: Compact Edition (Crtd) - ASME Research And Technology Committee On Water And Steam In Thermal Systems Subcommittee On Propert - Removed
- 2011-12-17ASME Steam Tables: Compact Edition (Crtd) - ASME Research And Technology Committee On Water And Steam In Thermal Systems Subcommittee On Propert - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.