Author: Michele Friend
Publisher: Acumen Publishing
Posted on 2011-11-20, by LionFar.
|Title:Introducing Philosophy of Mathematics
|Description:What is mathematics about? Does the subject-matter of mathematics exist independently of the mind or are they mental constructions? How do we know mathematics? Is mathematical knowledge logical knowledge? And how is mathematics applied to the material world? In this introduction to the philosophy of mathematics, Michele Friend examines these and other ontological and epistemological problems raised by the content and practice of mathematics. Aimed at a readership with limited proficiency in mathematics but with some experience of formal logic it seeks to strike a balance between conceptual accessibility and correct representation of the issues. Friend examines the standard theories of mathematics - Platonism, realism, logicism, formalism, constructivism and structuralism - as well as some less standard theories such as psychologism, fictionalism and Meinongian philosophy of mathematics. In each case Friend explains what characterises the position and where the divisions between them lie, including some of the arguments in favour and against each. This book also explores particular questions that occupy present-day philosophers and mathematicians such as the problem of infinity, mathematical intuition and the relationship, if any, between the philosophy of mathematics and the practice of mathematics. Taking in the canonical ideas of Aristotle, Kant, Frege and Whitehead and Russell as well as the challenging and innovative work of recent philosophers like Benacerraf, Hellman, Maddy and Shapiro, Friend provides a balanced and accessible introduction suitable for upper-level undergraduate courses and the non-specialist.
Download Introducing Philosophy of Mathematics
Download from DEPOSITFILES
Download from FILESONIC
- Ebooks list page : 15438
- 2017-11-27[PDF] Introducing Philosophy of Mathematics
- 2013-02-11Introducing Philosophy of Mathematics (repost)
- 2019-01-25Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics in the Early Husserl
- 2019-01-10Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics in the Early Husserl
- 2018-12-28Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics in the Early Husserl
- 2018-12-09Research in History and Philosophy of Mathematics
- 2018-12-07Research in History and Philosophy of Mathematics
- 2018-12-05Research in History and Philosophy of Mathematics The CSHPM 2017 Annual Meeting in Toronto, Ontario
- 2018-11-21Research in History and Philosophy of Mathematics
- 2018-11-03Research in History and Philosophy of Mathematics The CSHPM 2015 Annual Meeting in Washington, D. C.
- 2018-07-15The Philosophy of Mathematics Education Today
- 2018-07-09The Philosophy of Mathematics Education Today
- 2018-07-06Essays on Husserl's Logic and Philosophy of Mathematics
- 2018-05-07Philosophy of Mathematics and Economics Image, Context and Perspective
- 2018-04-22Philosophy of Mathematics and Economics Image, Context and Perspective
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Philosophy of Mathematics: Selected Writings (Selections from the Writings of Charles S. Peirce)
- 2018-01-30[PDF] New Waves in Philosophy of Mathematics
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Research in History and Philosophy of Mathematics: The Cshpm 2015 Annual Meeting in Washington, D. C. (Proceedings of the Canadian Society for History and Philosop)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] Research in History and Philosophy of Mathematics
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.