Posted on 2008-12-22. By anonymous.
Edward Elgar Publishing | 2007-08 | ISBN: 1840649550 | 404 pages | PDF | 1,4 MB
`Tom Wren's book is a masterpiece of intellectual history. It explores the philosophical and historical foundations of democracy in a compelling way. Wren is a sparkling and graceful writer. He makes a potentially dry subject come alive with wit and insight. The issues Wren addresses are extremely timely, as the United States endeavors to advance democracy in the Middle East.'
- George Goethals, University of Richmond, US
`In this important analysis of democratic thought and treatise on leadership, historian Tom Wren drills down to the essential intellectual paradox: that "leadership" and "democracy" are inherently hostile concepts. Wren brilliantly strips down our "fictions" concerning these domains in his extensive deconstruction of both classical and modern thought. What emerges is a dialectical awakening and a practical new vision of citizen participation and enlightened leadership.'
- Georgia Sorenson, James MacGregor Burns Academy of Leadership, University of Maryland, College Park and US Army
The tension between ruler and ruled in democratic societies has never been satisfactorily resolved, and the competing interpretations of this relationship lie at the bottom of much modern political discourse. In this fascinating book, Thomas Wren clarifies and elevates the debates over leadership by identifying the fundamental premises and assumptions that underlie past and present understandings.
The author traces the intellectual history of the central constructs: the leader, the people, and, ultimately, the relationship between them as they seek to accomplish societal objectives. He begins with a discussion of the invented notion of the classical paragon of a ruler. Next he pursues the invention of the countervailing concept of a sovereign people, and finally, the need for the invention of a new construct - leadership - which embodies a new relation between ruler and ruled in regimes dedicated to power in the people. In doing so, he draws upon the giants of the Western intellectual tradition as well as the insights of modern historians, political scientists, sociologists and leadership scholars. The book concludes with a proposed model of leadership for a modern democratic world.
Elegantly written and masterfully argued, this comprehensive study will be essential reading for students and scholars of leadership and democracy.
- Ebooks list page : 2114
- 2014-03-10Inventing Leadership: The Challenge of Democracy (New Horizons in Leadership Studies) (repost)
- 2018-11-13Ecology and Revolution Herbert Marcuse and the Challenge of a New World System Today
- 2018-10-29Islam and the Challenge of Democracy
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Organisational Transformation in the Russian Oil Industry (New Horizons in International Business Series) [Russian]
- 2017-12-10[PDF] Contemporary Issues in Sports Economics: Participation and Professional Team Sports (New Horizons in the Economics of Sport) (New Horizons in the Economics of Sports)
- 2017-12-02[PDF] Sayyids and Sharifs in Muslim Societies: The Living Links to the Prophet (New Horizons in Islamic Studies)
- 2017-11-27[PDF] The Challenge of Democracy: American Government in Global Politics, 8th Edition
- 2017-02-16[PDF] Sayyids and Sharifs in Muslim Societies: The Living Links to the Prophet (New Horizons in Islamic Studies)
- 2014-01-29The Challenge of Democracy: American Government in Global Politics, 11 edition - eazydoc.com
- 2014-01-06Facing the Challenge of Democracy: Explorations in the Analysis of Public Opinion and Political Participation - eazydoc.com
- 2013-07-26The Economist (Intelligence Unit) - New horizons (2011)
- 2013-03-17The Challenge of Democracy Essentials - American Government in Global Politics, 8 edition
- 2012-10-07Facing the Challenge of Democracy: Explorations in the Analysis of Public Opinion and Political Participation
- 2012-05-26Research and Technological Innovation: The Challenge for a New Europe
- 2011-11-30The Challenge of Democracy Essentials: American Government in Global Politics, 8 edition
- 2011-11-15The Challenge of Democracy: American Government in Global Politics, 11 edition
- 2011-09-10Contemporary Issues in Sports Economics: Participation and Professional Team Sports (New Horizons in the Economics of Sport) (New Horizons in the Economics of Sports)
- 2010-06-18Managing the Contemporary Multinational: The Role of Headquarters (New Horizons in International Business)
- 2010-06-05Persian Documents: Social History of Iran and Turan in the 15th-19th Centuries (New Horizons in Islamicstudies)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.