Posted on 2014-05-29. By anonymous.
University of California Press | 2000 | ISBN: 0520211383 | Pages: 346 | PDF | 3 MB
In the two decades after World War II, Germans on both sides of the iron curtain fought vehemently over American cultural imports. Uta G. Poiger traces how westerns, jeans, jazz, rock 'n' roll, and stars like Marlon Brando or Elvis Presley reached adolescents in both Germanies, who eagerly adopted the new styles. Poiger reveals that East and West German authorities deployed gender and racial norms to contain Americanized youth cultures in their own territories and to carry on the ideological Cold War battle with each other. Poiger's lively account is based on an impressive array of sources, ranging from films, newspapers, and contemporary sociological studies, to German and U.S. archival materials.
Jazz, Rock, and Rebels examines diverging responses to American culture in East and West Germany by linking these to changes in social science research, political cultures, state institutions, and international alliance systems. In the first two decades of the Cold War, consumer culture became a way to delineate the boundaries between East and West. This pathbreaking study, the first comparative cultural history of the two Germanies, sheds new light on the legacy of Weimar and National Socialism, on gender and race relations in Europe, and on Americanization and the Cold War.
Get More Interesting Ebooks >> Visit My Blog Now
- Ebooks list page : 27238
- 2010-04-10Jazz, Rock, and Rebels: Cold War Politics and American Culture in a Divided Germany (Studies on the History of Society and Culture)
- 2018-05-10Italian Women and International Cold War Politics, 1944-1968
- 2017-10-31[PDF] Old Nazis, the New Right, and the Republican Party: Domestic fascist networks and their effect on U.S. cold war politics
- 2017-10-28[PDF] The Open Mind: Cold War Politics and the Sciences of Human Nature
- 2017-01-12[PDF] The Open Mind: Cold War Politics and the Sciences of Human Nature
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Popular Music in Eastern Europe: Breaking the Cold War Paradigm (Pop Music, Culture and Identity) - Removed
- 2012-05-11Mig-21: Cold War Warrior
- 2011-12-28Cold War, Cool Medium: Television, McCarthyism, and American Culture (Film and Culture)
- 2011-12-07Cold War, Cool Medium: Television, McCarthyism, and American Culture (Film and Culture)
- 2011-09-03Cold War, Cool Medium: Television, McCarthyism, and American Culture
- 2018-10-14Satchmo Blows Up the World Jazz Ambassadors Play the Cold War [Audiobook]
- 2018-08-21Satchmo Blows Up the World Jazz Ambassadors Play the Cold War [Audiobook]
- 2018-07-31Satchmo Blows Up the World Jazz Ambassadors Play the Cold War [Audiobook]
- 2018-07-29Satchmo Blows Up the World: Jazz Ambassadors Play the Cold War [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-26[PDF] Good Girls, Good Food, Good Fun: The Story of USO Hostesses during World War II (Gender and American Culture)
- 2017-10-19[PDF] Radical Relations: Lesbian Mothers, Gay Fathers, and Their Children in the United States since World War II (Gender and American Culture)
- 2014-03-05Anthropology at War: World War I and the Science of Race in Germany (repost)
- 2013-05-02The Cold War Politics of Genetic Research: An Introduction to the Lysenko Affair [Repost]
- 2013-04-13The Cold War Politics of Genetic Research: An Introduction to the Lysenko Affair
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.