Posted on 2008-12-09. By anonymous.
Publisher: Sage Publications Ltd 2005-10 | 272 Pages | ISBN: 1412911435 | PDF | 1 MB
From Thomas Hobbes' fear of the power of laughter to the compulsory, packaged "fun" of the contemporary mass media, Billig takes the reader on a stimulating tour of the strange world of humour. Both a significant work of scholarship and a novel contribution to the understanding of the humourous, this is a seriously engaging book' - David Inglis, University of Aberdeen
This delightful book tackles the prevailing assumption that laughter and humour are inherently good. In developing a critique of humour the author proposes a social theory that places humour - in the form of ridicule - as central to social life. Billig argues that all cultures use ridicule as a disciplinary means to uphold norms of conduct and conventions of meaning.
Historically, theories of humour reflect wider visions of politics, morality and aesthetics. For example, Bergson argued that humour contains an element of cruelty while Freud suggested that we deceive ourselves about the true nature of our laughter. Billig discusses these and other theories, while using the topic of humour to throw light on the perennial social problems of regulation, control and emancipation.
Thanks for the book!
- Ebooks list page : 2072
- 2013-01-03Shake Rattle and Roll: Yugoslav Rock Music and the Poetics of Social Critique
- 2010-12-17Wittgenstein, Mind and Meaning: Towards a Social Conception of Mind
- 2018-01-21[PDF] Hunters, Fishers and Foragers in Wales: Towards a Social Narrative of Mesolithic Lifeways
- 2017-12-26[PDF] Resisting Reality: Social Construction and Social Critique
- 2017-11-02[PDF] Deconstructing Ethnography: Towards a Social Methodology for Ubiquitous Computing and Interactive Systems Design (Human-Computer Interaction Series) - Removed
- 2017-01-11[PDF] Resisting Reality: Social Construction and Social Critique
- 2011-12-29HIV and Disability: Updating the Social Security Listings
- 2011-09-07HIV and Disability: Updating the Social Security Listings
- 2019-07-19Wi-Fi™, Bluetooth™, Zigbee™ and WiMax™; Managing the Social Climate of the Workplace
- 2019-07-10John Cacioppo Loneliness Human Nature And The Need For Social Connection
- 2019-05-16John Cacioppo - Loneliness Human Nature and the Need for Social Connection
- 2019-05-06Phenomenology, Organizational Politics, and IT Design The Social Study of Information Systems
- 2019-03-25Phenomenology, Organizational Politics, and IT Design The Social Study of Information Systems
- 2019-03-10Influence and Behavior Analysis in Social Networks and Social Media
- 2019-03-07Listening to Noise and Silence Towards a Philosophy of Sound Art
- 2019-03-02Computers and Education Towards an Interconnected Society
- 2019-02-27WLANs and WPANs towards 4G Wireless
- 2019-02-24Listening to Noise and Silence Towards a Philosophy of Sound Art
- 2019-02-23Computers and Education Towards an Interconnected Society
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.