Manslaughter, Markets, and Moral Economy: Violent Disputes over Property Rights in Eighteenth-Century China (repost)
Tag: History and Military
Posted on 2013-06-03. By anonymous.
English | 2000 | ISBN: 0521640458 | PDF | 288 pages | 6.6 MB
Thomas Buoye examines the impact of large-scale economic change on social conflict in eighteenth-century China. He draws on a large number of documented cases of violent property disputes to recreate the social tensions fostered by the development of property rights, an unprecedented growing population, and the increasing strain on land and resources.
This book challenges the "markets" and "moral economy" theories of economic behavior. Applying the theories of Douglass North for the first time to this subject, Buoye uses an institutional framework to understand seemingly irrational economic choices.
• An in-depth study of social conflict and economic change in eighteenth-century China • Based on a large body of primary sources (homicide reports) which has been little exploited in the past • Re-examines two paradigms for understanding economic change in preindustrial society, utilizing for the first time the theory of Douglass North in the study of Chinese economic history
List of maps, figures, and tables; List of Qing dynasty emperors' reign dates; List of weights and measures; Acknowledgments; Introduction; 1. Economic change, social conflict, and property rights; 2. 'Population increases daily': economic change during the eighteenth century; 3. 'As before each manage their own property': boundary and water-rights disputes; 4. 'Crafty and obdurate tenants': redemption, rent defaults, and evictions; 5. Temporal and geographic distributions of property-rights disputes in Guangdong; 6. Violence north, west, and south: property-rights disputes in Shandong, Sichuan, and Guangdong; 7. 'You will be rich but not benevolent': changing concepts of legitimacy and violent disputes; 8. Conclusion; Appendix; Bibliography; Index.
‘This carefully researched and well-crafted book illuminates struggles over land and water in eighteenth-century Guangdong, as well as the nature of the legal process in the high Qing period.’ Journal of Asian Studies
- Ebooks list page : 22396
- 2017-10-05[PDF] Manslaughter, Markets, and Moral Economy: Violent Disputes over Property Rights in Eighteenth-Century China (Cambridge Studies in Chinese History, Literature and Institutions)
- 2011-04-24Manslaughter, Markets, and Moral Economy: Violent Disputes over Property Rights in Eighteenth-Century China
- 2017-05-11Literature And Moral Economy In The Early Modern Atlantic : Elegant Sufficiencies
- 2011-10-18The Post-Bubble US Economy: Implications for Financial Markets and the Economy
- 2011-02-07The Post 'Great Recession' US Economy: Implications for Financial Markets and the Economy
- 2009-01-17The Post-Bubble US Economy: Implications for Financial Markets and the Economy
- 2012-01-12Renormalization and 3-Manifolds Which Fiber over the Circle by Curtis T. McMullen (Repost)
- 2011-02-05Mean Markets and Lizard Brains: How to Profit from the New Science of Irrationality (Repost)
- 2009-07-21Terry Burnham - Mean Markets and Lizard Brains: How to Profit from the New Science of Irrationality (Repost)
- 2009-06-18Same Sex, Different Politics: Success and Failure in the Struggles over Gay Rights
- 2017-10-10[PDF] Landscape, Liberty and Authority: Poetry, Criticism and Politics from Thomson to Wordsworth (Cambridge Studies in Eighteenth-Century English Literature and Thought)
- 2017-02-14[PDF] Hume, Reason and Morality: A Legacy of Contradiction (Routledge Studies in Eighteenth-Century Philosophy)
- 2014-05-11Luxury and Pleasure in Eighteenth-Century Britain (repost)
- 2014-03-27Living the Enlightenment: Freemasonry and Politics in Eighteenth-Century Europe (repost)
- 2014-02-26Wesley and the Wesleyans: Religion in Eighteenth-Century Britain (Repost)
- 2013-11-26The Self and It: Novel Objects in Eighteenth-Century England (repost)
- 2013-10-26The Crafting of the 10,000 Things: Knowledge and Technology in Seventeenth-Century China (repost)
- 2013-06-16Living the Enlightenment: Freemasonry and Politics in Eighteenth-Century Europe (repost)
- 2013-04-14Odd Girls and Twilight Lovers: A History of Lesbian Life in Twentieth-Century America (Repost)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.