Posted on 2010-07-09. By anonymous.
Wiley-Interscience | 2004 | ISBN: 0471220663 | 199 pages | PDF | 1,4 MB
A colorful tour through the intriguing world of mathematics
The world of modern mathematics abounds with fascinating, unusual ideasâ€“ideas and concepts even seasoned mathematicians often wonder about. Mathematical Journeys takes you on a grand tour of the best of modern mathâ€“its most elegant solutions, most clever discoveries, most mind-bending propositions, and most impressive personalities.
Writing with a light touch while showing the real mathematics, author Peter Schumer introduces you to the history of mathematics, number theory, combinatorics, geometry, graph theory, and "recreational mathematics." Requiring only high school math and a healthy curiosity, Mathematical Journeys helps you explore all those aspects of math that mathematicians themselves find most delightful. Youâ€™ll discover brilliant, sometimes quirky and humorous tidbits like how to compute the digits of pi, the Josephus problem, mathematical amusements such as Nim and Wythoffâ€™s game, pizza slicing, and clever twists on rolling dice. For a glimpse of the minds that gave birth to the math, read the profiles of such great thinkers as Paul ErdÃ¶s and Leonhard Euler.
Each chapter of the book focuses on some interesting piece of mathematics, giving the history and requisite math background, the solution of a problem or two, and some indication of natural generalizations and related areas of study. Whether youâ€™re a math novice curious to learn what your calculus class left out or a math lover ready for the green chicken contest (Whatâ€™s that? Read the book!), Mathematical Journeys will give you a true taste of what mathematicians themselves find most exciting about math.
- Ebooks list page : 6418
- 2013-09-05Mathematical Journeys (Repost)
- 2009-04-14(Repost) Peter D. Schumer, Â«Wiley Mathematical JourneysÂ»
- 2008-03-11(Repost) Peter D. Schumer, Â«Wiley Mathematical JourneysÂ»
- 2017-11-12[PDF] Mathematical Journeys (Wiley-Interscience Publication)
- 2014-06-10Lectures in Logic and Set Theory. Volume I: Mathematical Logic (Repost)
- 2014-05-20A First Course in Topology: An Introduction to Mathematical Thinking (repost)
- 2014-05-16VII Hotine-Marussi Symposium on Mathematical Geodesy [Repost]
- 2014-05-16Sustainable Fashion and Textiles: Design Journeys (Repost)
- 2014-05-16Advanced Topics in System and Signal Theory: A Mathematical Approach [Repost]
- 2014-05-11100% Mathematical Proof (repost)
- 2014-05-09Applied Wave Mathematics: Selected Topics in Solids, Fluids, and Mathematical Methods [Repost]
- 2014-05-07Markets with Transaction Costs: Mathematical Theory [Repost]
- 2014-05-07Mathematical Biophysics [Repost]
- 2014-05-06Contemporary Problems in Mathematical Physics (Repost)
- 2014-05-05An Algebraic Introduction to Mathematical Logic (Repost)
- 2014-05-05Logical Thinking in the Pyramidal Schema of Concepts: The Logical and Mathematical Elements (Repost)
- 2014-05-03Combinatorial Problems in Mathematical Competitions (repost)
- 2014-05-02Optimality and Risk - Modern Trends in Mathematical Finance [Repost]
- 2014-04-2840 Puzzles and Problems in Probability and Mathematical Statistics [Repost]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.