Posted on 2010-09-20. By anonymous.
Columbia University Press | 256 pages | English | 2001 | ISBN: 0231113285 | PDF | 8,7 MB
In this groundbreaking investigation into the nature and meanings of melodrama in American culture between 1880 and 1920, Ben Singer offers a challenging new reevaluation of early American cinema and the era that spawned it. Singer looks back to the sensational or "blood and thunder" melodramas (e.g., The Perils of Pauline, The Hazards of Helen, etc.) and uncovers a fundamentally modern cultural expression, one reflecting spectacular transformations in the sensory environment of the metropolis, in the experience of capitalism, in the popular imagination of gender, and in the exploitation of the thrill in popular amusement. Written with verve and panache, and illustrated with 100 striking photos and drawings, Singer?s study provides an invaluable historical and conceptual map both of melodrama as a genre on stage and screen and of modernity as a pivotal idea in social theory.
- Ebooks list page : 7339
- 2010-09-20Melodrama and Modernity
- 2010-09-19Melodrama and Modernity
- 2019-03-20Cultural Policy Management, Value and Modernity in the Creative Industries
- 2019-03-17Cultural Policy Management, Value and Modernity in the Creative Industries
- 2019-02-14Ether and Modernity: The recalcitrance of an epistemic object in the early twentieth century
- 2019-01-31Marx and Modernity Key Readings and Commentary
- 2019-01-31Ether and Modernity The recalcitrance of an epistemic object in the early twentieth century
- 2019-01-31Streetwalking the Metropolis Women, the City, and Modernity
- 2019-01-14Science and Modernity Toward an Integral Theory of Science
- 2019-01-11Science and Modernity Toward an Integral Theory of Science
- 2019-01-06Science and Modernity Toward an Integral Theory of Science
- 2018-12-28Architecture and Modernity A Critique
- 2018-12-28From Steam to Screen Cinema, the Railways and Modernity (Cinema and Society)
- 2018-11-20From Steam to Screen Cinema, the Railways and Modernity
- 2018-11-10The Melodramatic Imagination Balzac, Henry James, Melodrama, and the Mode of Excess
- 2018-11-07Risk, Environment and Modernity Towards a New Ecology
- 2018-10-12In the Wake of the Balkan Myth: Questions of Identity and Modernity
- 2018-10-12Bodies of Thought: Embodiment, Identity and Modernity
- 2018-09-20Architectures of Hurry-Mobilities, Cities and Modernity
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.