Posted on 2018-06-18, by nokia241186.
Men, Women and Pianos: A Social History (Dover Books on Music) by Arthur Loesser
2011 | ISBN: 0486265439 | English | 672 pages | MOBI | 2 MB
As the "social anchor" in middle-class homes of the nineteenth century, the piano was simultaneously an elegant piece of drawing-room furniture, a sign of bourgeois prosperity, and a means of introducing the young to music. In this admirably balanced and leisurely account of the popular instrument, the late, internationally known concert pianist Arthur Loesser takes a "piano's-eye view" of the recent social history of Western Europe and the United States.
Drawing on newspapers, music manuscripts, popular accounts, and other sources, Loesser traces the history of the piano from its predecessors, the clavichord and the harpsichord, to the modern spinet and concert grand. Chapter headings such as "Clavichords Make Weeping Easier," "The Harpsichord Grows Feet," "The More Pianos the Merrier," and "The Keyboards Go West" suggest the author's lighthearted approach to topics ranging from the piano's European origins and its introduction in the United States to the decline of piano manufacturing in the early twentieth century and the "victory of airborne music" by mid-century. A preface by historian Jacques Barzun and a new foreword by music critic Edward Rothstein enhance a volume rich in wit and knowledge - one that will delight any reader with an interest in the piano and on Western cultural history.
(Buy premium account for maximum speed and resuming ability)
- Ebooks list page : 36468
- 2012-03-12Revolutions of 1848: A Social History By Priscilla Smith Robertson
- 2019-03-31Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women and the Rest of Us
- 2019-01-31The Myth of Work-Life Balance The Challenge of Our Time for Men, Women and Societies
- 2018-02-02[PDF] Waste and Want: A Social History of Trash
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Better Sex With Yoga: Exercises, poses and meditations for men, women and couples to improve sex life.
- 2018-01-28[PDF] Concertos and Choral Works: Selections from Essays in Musical Analysis (Dover Books on Music and Music History)
- 2018-01-20[PDF] Men, Women and Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-13[PDF] Men, Women, and Money: Perspectives on Gender, Wealth, and Investment 1850-1930
- 2018-01-11[PDF] Federal Fathers and Mothers: A Social History of the United States Indian Service, 1869-1933 (First Peoples: New Directions in Indigenous Studies (University of North Carolina Press Hardcover))
- 2018-01-06[PDF] Against Our Will: Men, Women, and Rape
- 2018-01-05[PDF] Men, Women and Worthiness: The Experience of Shame and the Power of Being Enough [Audiobook]
- 2017-12-29[PDF] Weight Watchers She Loses, He Loses: The Truth about Men, Women, and Weight Loss
- 2017-12-28[PDF] Voices of the American Revolution: Stories of Men, Women, and Children Who Forged Our Nation
- 2017-12-22[PDF] Number Theory and Its History (Dover Books on Mathematics)
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Retro Knits: Cool Vintage Patterns for Men, Women, and Children from the 1900s through the 1970s
- 2017-12-20[PDF] Men, Women and Relationships - A Post-Jungian Approach: Gender Electrics and Magic Beans
- 2017-12-09[PDF] Cold Hard Truth On Men, Women, and Money: 50 Common Money Mistakes and How to Fix Them
- 2017-11-24[PDF] Women and Yugoslav Partisans: A History of World War II Resistance
- 2017-11-09[PDF] The Stressed Sex: Uncovering the Truth About Men, Women, and Mental Health
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.