Posted on 2009-01-28. By anonymous.
Publisher: University of Nebraska Press 2005 | 190 Pages | ISBN: 0803243243 | PDF | 1.1 MB
As a young adolescent, Hollis Dorion Stabler underwent a Native ceremony in which he was given the new name Na-zhin-thia, Slow to Rise. It was a name that no white person asked to know during Hollis's tour of duty in Anzio, his unacknowledged difference as an Omaha Indian adding to the poignancy of his uneasy fellowship with foreign and American soldiers alike. Stablerâ€™s storyâ€”coming of age on the American plains, going to war, facing new estrangement upon coming homeâ€”is a universal one, rendered wonderfully strange and personal by Stablerâ€™s uncommon perspective, which embraces two worlds, and by his unique voice. Stabler's experiences during World War IIâ€”tours of duty in Tunisia and Morocco as well as Italy and France, and the loss of his brother in battleâ€”are at the center of this powerful memoir, which tells of growing up as an Omaha Indian in the small-town Midwest of Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Oklahoma in the 1920s and 1930s. A descendant of the Indians who negotiated with Lewis and Clark on the Missouri River, Stabler describes a childhood that was a curious mixture of progressivism and Indian tradition, and that culminated in his enlisting in the old horse cavalry when war broke outâ€”a path not so very different from that walked by his ancestors. Victoria Smith, of Cherokee-Delaware descent, interweaves historical insight with Stablerâ€™s vivid reminiscences, providing a rich context for this singular life.
- Ebooks list page : 2236
- 2011-10-20United States Army in the World War, 1917-1919 Volume 1: Organization of the American Expeditionary Forces
- 2018-11-10Lossberg's War The World War I Memoirs of a German Chief of Staff
- 2008-05-28Commanding the Red Army's Sherman Tanks: The World War II Memoirs of Hero of the Soviet Union Dmitriy Loza By Dmitriy Loza - Removed
- 2012-06-07The German Army in World War II (Osprey General Military) - Removed
- 2012-06-07The Reich Intruders: Dramatic RAF Medium Bomber Raids Over Europe in World War Two
- 2012-06-03The Spicer Web: The Romance of a Flying-Boat Flight in the First World War
- 2012-05-22Aircraft of World War II (The Aviation Factfile)
- 2012-05-21The Royal Air Force of World War Two In Colour
- 2012-05-21Fokker Aircraft of World War One (Crowood Aviation Series)
- 2012-05-20Over There!: The American Soldier in World War I (The G.I.Series #7)
- 2012-05-19German Helmets Of The Second World War Vol.2
- 2012-05-16The Horse Soldier 1776-1943 Vol.IV: World War I, the Peacetime Army, World War II 1917-1943
- 2012-05-12Battle Colors Volume III: Insignia and Tactical Markings Of The Ninth Air Force In World War Two
- 2012-05-11Panzers In The Balkans And Italy Quarrie (World War 2 Photo Album #19)
- 2012-01-05One Goal, Two Paths: Achieving Universal Access to Modern Energy in East Asia and Pacific - The World Bank
- 2012-01-01One Goal, Two Paths: Achieving Universal Access to Modern Energy in East Asia and Pacific - The World Bank
- 2011-12-04No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II (Osprey General Military) - No Greater Ally, The Untold Story, World War, Osprey General Military
- 2011-11-17No Greater Ally: The Untold Story of Poland's Forces in World War II (Osprey General Military)
- 2012-05-19B-24 Liberators of the 15th Air Force/49th Bomb Wing in World War II
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.