Posted on 2018-01-06, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Brian Clegg | Category: Mathematics | Language: English | Page: 288 | ISBN: 1841196509 | ISBN13: 9781841196503 |
Description: 'Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the street to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.' - Douglas Adams, "Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy". We human beings have trouble with infinity - yet infinity is a surprisingly human subject. Philosophers and mathematicians have gone mad contemplating its nature and complexity - yet it is a concept routinely used by schoolchildren. Exploring the infinite is a journey into paradox. Here is a quantity that turns arithmetic on its head, making it feasible that 1 = 0. Here is a concept that enables us to cram as many extra guests as we like into an already full hotel. Most bizarrely of all, it is quite easy to show that there must be something bigger than infinity - when it surely should be the biggest thing that could possibly be. Brian Clegg takes us on a fascinating tour of that borderland between the extremely large and the ultimate that takes us from Archimedes, counting the grains of sand that would fill the universe, to the latest theories on the physical reality of the infinite. Full of unexpected delights, whether St Augustine contemplating the nature of creation, Newton and Leibniz battling over ownership of calculus, or Cantor struggling to publicise his vision of the transfinite, infinity's fascination is in the way it brings together the everyday and the extraordinary, prosaic daily life and the esoteric. Whether your interest in infinity is mathematical, philosophical, spiritual or just plain curious, this accessible book offers a stimulating and entertaining read.
A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35080
- 2013-12-27A Brief History of Infinity: The Quest to Think the Unthinkable
- 2018-01-27[PDF] A Brief History of Entrepreneurship: The Pioneers, Profiteers, and Racketeers Who Shaped Our World (Columbia Business School Publishing)
- 2018-01-25[PDF] A Brief History of Misogyny: the World's Oldest Prejudice (Brief Histories)
- 2017-12-12[PDF] A Brief History of Montmaray (The Montmaray Journals)
- 2017-10-13[PDF] A Brief History of Tomorrow: The Future Past and Present
- 2017-02-08[PDF] A Brief History of Montmaray (The Montmaray Journals)
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Brief History of the Smile
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Brief History of the English Reformation
- 2018-01-26[PDF] A Brief History of Creation: Science and the Search for the Origin of Life [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-23[PDF] A Brief History of Archaeology: Classical Times to the Twenty-First Century 2nd Edition
- 2018-01-22[PDF] A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived: The Stories in Our Genes [Audiobook]
- 2018-01-21[PDF] A Brief History of Britain 1066-1485: The Birth of a Nation [Audiobooks]
- 2018-01-17[PDF] A Brief History of the Middle East
- 2018-01-15[PDF] A Brief History of Orange, California: The Plaza City
- 2018-01-12[PDF] A Brief History Of The Incas: From Rise, Through Reign, To Ruin
- 2018-01-08[PDF] The Physics of Wall Street: A Brief History of Predicting the Unpredictable [Audiobooks]
- 2018-01-06[PDF] A Brief History of the Late Ottoman Empire
- 2018-01-05[PDF] A Brief History of the Universe
- 2018-01-04[PDF] A Brief History of Britain 1066-1485: The Birth of a Nation [Audiobooks]
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.