Posted on 2018-01-06, by luongquocchinh.
Author: M. Sukru Hanioglu | Category: History | Language: English | Page: 264 | ISBN: 0691134529 | ISBN13: 9780691134529 |
Description: At the turn of the nineteenth century, the Ottoman Empire straddled three continents and encompassed extraordinary ethnic and cultural diversity among the estimated thirty million people living within its borders. It was perhaps the most cosmopolitan state in the world and possibly the most volatile. A Brief History of the Late Ottoman Empire now gives scholars and general readers a concise history of the late empire between 1789 and 1918, turbulent years marked by incredible social change. Moving past standard treatments of the subject, M. Sukru Hanioglu emphasizes broad historical trends and processes more than single events. He examines the imperial struggle to centralize amid powerful opposition from local rulers, nationalist and other groups, and foreign powers. He looks closely at the socioeconomic changes this struggle wrought and addresses the Ottoman response to the challenges of modernity. Hanioglu shows how this history is not only essential to comprehending modern Turkey, but is integral to the histories of Europe and the world. He brings Ottoman society marvelously to life in all its facets cultural, diplomatic, intellectual, literary, military, and political and he mines imperial archives and other documents from the period to describe it as it actually was, not as it has been portrayed in postimperial nationalist narratives. A Brief History of the Late Ottoman Empire is a must-read for anyone seeking to understand the legacy left in this empire's ruins a legacy the world still grapples with today.
A Brief History of the Late Ottoman Empire.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 35081
- 2013-12-27A Brief History of the Late Ottoman Empire (Repost)
- 2009-01-18Wendy M.K. Shaw : Museums, Archaeology, and the Visualization of History in the Late Ottoman Empire
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Brief History of the Smile
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Brief History of the English Reformation
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Orphans and Destitute Children in the Late Ottoman Empire (Gender, Culture, and Politics in the Middle East)
- 2018-01-17[PDF] A Brief History of the Middle East
- 2018-01-12[PDF] A Brief History Of The Incas: From Rise, Through Reign, To Ruin
- 2018-01-05[PDF] A Brief History of the Universe
- 2017-12-28[PDF] A Brief History of the First World War: Eyewitness Accounts of the War to End All Wars, 1914-18
- 2017-12-28[PDF] A Brief History of the Middle East: From Abraham to Arafat
- 2017-12-23[PDF] A Brief History of the Philosophy of Time
- 2017-12-22[PDF] A Brief History of the Roman Empire (Brief Histories)
- 2017-12-16[PDF] Islamist Thinkers in the Late Ottoman Empire and Early Turkish Republic
- 2017-11-30[PDF] A Brief History of the Western World (with CD-ROM and InfoTrac)
- 2017-11-28[PDF] A Brief History of the Circumnavigators (Brief Histories)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] A Brief History of the 25th Marines (USMCR Regimental Histories Series) (Volume 1)
- 2017-11-26[PDF] A Brief History of the 14th Marines
- 2017-11-26[PDF] A Brief History of the 12th Marines
- 2017-11-26[PDF] A Brief History Of The 10th Marines (Marine Corps Regimental Histories Series)
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.