Posted on 2017-12-20, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Randolph Quirk, Sidney Greenbaum, Geoffrey Leech, Jan Svartvik | Publisher: Longman Group United Kingdom | Category: English | Language: English | Page: 1132 | ISBN: 058252444X | ISBN13: 9780582524446 |
Description: PREFACE The first attempts at producing a grammar of English were made when there were less than ten million speakers of English in the world, almost all of them living within 100 miles or so of London. Grammars of English have gone on being written during the intervening 400 years reflecting a variety (and growing complexity) of needs, while speakers of English have multiplied several hundredfold and dispersed themselves so that the language has achieved a uniquely wide spread throughout the world and, with that, a unique importance. We make no apology for adding one more to the succession of English grammars. In the first place, though fairly brief synopses are common enough, there have been very few attempts at so comprehensive a coverage as is offered in the present work. Fewer still in terms of synchronic description. And none at all so comprehensive or in such depth has been produced within an English-speaking country. Moreover, our Grammar aims at this comprehensiveness and depth in treating English irrespective of frontiers: our field is no less than the grammar of educated English current in the second half of the twentieth century in the world's major English-speaking communities. Only where a feature belongs specifically to British usage or American usage, to informal conversation or to the dignity of formal writing, are 'labels' introduced in the description to show that we are no longer discussing the 'common core' of educated English. For this common core, as well as for the special varieties surrounding it, we have augmented our own experience as speakers and teachers of the language with research on corpora of contemporary English and on data from elicitation tests, in both cases making appropriate use of facilities available in our generation for bringing spoken English fully within the grammarian's scope. For reasons of simplicity and economic presentation, however, illustrative examples from our basic material are seldom given without being adapted and edited and while informal and familiar styles of speech and writing receive due consideration in our treatment, we put the main emphasis on describing the English of serious exposition...
A Grammar of Contemporary English.pdf
- Ebooks list page : 34557
- 2017-12-02[PDF] This is a descriptive grammar of contemporary English which has in it comparisons with practice current in other languages designed to pinpoint peculiarities of the English tongue. Originally written
- 2018-01-07[PDF] COMPARATIVE GRAMMAR OF BRITISH ENGLISH DIALECTS VOL. 2 TIEL 50.2 HC (Topics in English Linguistics)
- 2018-01-04[PDF] A Grammar of Spoken English Discourse: The Intonation of Increments (Continuum Studies in Theoretical Linguistics)
- 2017-12-25[PDF] A Grammar of Old English: Morphology
- 2017-12-25[PDF] A Grammar of Old English
- 2017-11-30[PDF] First Impressions: A Contemporary English Romance
- 2012-10-14A Grammar of Contemporary English (Repost)
- 2012-06-01A Grammar of Contemporary English
- 2011-08-28A Grammar of Contemporary English
- 2011-07-11A Grammar of Contemporary English
- 2011-06-24A Grammar of Contemporary English (repost)
- 2010-07-20A Grammar of Contemporary English
- 2008-04-23A Grammar of Contemporary English
- 2018-01-29[PDF] Appositive Relative Clauses in English: Discourse functions and competing structures (Studies in Discourse and Grammar)
- 2018-01-27[PDF] A Course Book in English Grammar: Standard English and the Dialects (Studies in English Language)
- 2018-01-24[PDF] Practice Makes Perfect: Intermediate English Grammar for ESL Learners (Practice Makes Perfect Series)
- 2018-01-19[PDF] A Comparative Grammar Of British English Dialects: Agreement, Gender, Relative Clauses
- 2018-01-19[PDF] Cambridge Grammar of English with CD ROM
- 2018-01-18[PDF] Oxford Grammar for Schools Collection- English Course- Levels 1-5
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.