[PDF] A Nuclear Winter's Tale: Science and Politics in the 1980s (Transformations: Studies in the History of Science and Technology)
Posted on 2017-10-14, by luongquocchinh.
Author: Lawrence Badash | Publisher: The MIT Press | Category: Sociology | Language: English | Page: 424 | ISBN: 0262012723 | ISBN13: 9780262012720 |
Description: The nuclear winter phenomenon burst upon the public's consciousness in 1983. Added to the horror of a nuclear war's immediate effects was the fear that the smoke from fires ignited by the explosions would block the sun, creating an extended "winter" that might kill more people worldwide than the initial nuclear strikes. In A Nuclear Winter's Tale, Lawrence Badash maps the rise and fall of the science of nuclear winter, examining research activity, the popularization of the concept, and the Reagan-era politics that combined to influence policy and public opinion. Badash traces the several sciences (including studies of volcanic eruptions, ozone depletion, and dinosaur extinction) that merged to allow computer modeling of nuclear winter and its development as a scientific specialty. He places this in the political context of the Reagan years, discussing congressional interest, media attention, the administration's plans for a research program, and the Defense Department's claims that the arms buildup underway would prevent nuclear war, and thus nuclear winter. A Nuclear Winter's Tale tells an important story but also provides a useful illustration of the complex relationship between science and society. It examines the behavior of scientists in the public arena and in the scientific community, and raises questions about the problems faced by scientific Cassandras, the implications when scientists go public with worst-case scenarios, and the timing of government reaction to startling scientific findings.
A Nuclear Winter's Tale: Science and Politics in the 1980s (Transformations: Studies in the History of Science and Technology).pdf
- Ebooks list page : 32379
- 2017-10-14[PDF] A Nuclear Winter's Tale: Science and Politics in the 1980s (Transformations: Studies in the History of Science and Technology)
- 2017-01-13[PDF] A Nuclear Winter's Tale: Science and Politics in the 1980s (Transformations: Studies in the History of Science and Technology)
- 2012-10-04A Nuclear Winter's Tale: Science and Politics in the 1980s by Lawrence Badash (Repost)
- 2010-01-18A Nuclear Winter's Tale: Science and Politics in the 1980s
- 2011-10-08An Assessment of Naval Hydromechanics Science and Technology (Compass Series)
- 2011-10-04Science and Technology for Army Homeland Security: Report 1
- 2011-09-11Basic Research in Information Science and Technology for Air Force Needs
- 2011-09-08Science and Technology in Kazakhstan: Current Status and Future Prospects
- 2011-09-01The Fundamental Role of Science and Technology in International Development
- 2011-07-16Science and Technology and the Future Development of Societies: International Workshop Proceedings
- 2011-06-03Science and Technology for Army Homeland Security: Report 1
- 2018-01-15[PDF] Preventing Nuclear Dangers in Southeast Asia and Australasia (An IISS Strategic Dossier)
- 2017-11-22[PDF] From Human to Posthuman: Christian Theology And Technology in a Postmodern World (Ashgate Science and Religion Series)
- 2017-11-17[PDF] Real-Time PCR in Food Science: Current Technology and Applications
- 2012-04-27[request]Sea Clutter: Scattering, the K-Distribution and Radar Performance - Removed
- 2018-02-01[PDF] A Performatory Approach to Teaching, Learning and Technology
- 2018-02-01[PDF] Ritual and Politics: Writing the History of a Dynastic Conflict in Medieval Poland (East Central and Eastern Europe in the Middle Ages, 450-1450)
- 2018-01-31[PDF] Guide to Cloud Computing for Business and Technology Managers: From Distributed Computing to Cloudware Applications
- 2018-01-27[PDF] Rosa Luxemburg: A Permanent Challenge for Political Economy: On the History and the Present of Luxemburg's 'Accumulation of Capital' (Luxemburg International Studies in Political Economy) - Removed
- Download links and password may be in the description section, read description carefully!
- Do a search to find mirrors if no download links or dead links.